Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
"Priority will be given to people whose skills are in demand, an improvement over the first-come, first-served system now used...".

hi,

i wonder if the expression in bold means that the first person arrived is served before the second one and so on. i also would like to know if "first-come, first-served" is the most popular way to say that in English.

please, also let me know if the sentence below is OK.

"you don't need to set an appointment to see the doctor. we work on a first-come, first-served system.".

thanks.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Priority will be given to people whose skills are in demand, an improvement over the first-come, first-served system now used...".

hi,

i wonder if the expression in bold means that the first person arrived is served before the second one and so on. i also would like to know if "first-come, first-served" is the most popular way to say that in English.

please, also let me know if the sentence below is OK.

"you don't need to set an appointment to see the doctor. we work on a first-come, first-served system.".

thanks.

You are correct in both your interpretation of the phrase and your sample sentence.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean that, in the past, hiring practices were based on a first-come, first-served basis?

I don't think that's the idiom to use, then.

I'd suggest, "first-come, first-hired"

Status
Not open for further replies.