first conditional

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARAMARA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello. I would like to ask for this sentence, I cannot realise if it is well written, since I have read some samples like this in grammar pages:

"If you will stop eating so many chocolates, I will buy you some new clothes."
I knew that a first conditional has Simple Present in the condition part and Simple Future in the result part.
Thank you.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Conditional clause : If + Present Tense
Main clause : will + inf or present tense or imperative

If you (will) help me with the dishes (if + pres), I will help you with your homework. (will + inf)
If the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by three, the number is divisible by three (Pres. tense)

If you see Mr Fox tonight, tell him I am ill. (imperative).

This is correct. The conditional clause has 'if' and present tense, and the main clause has 'will' and the infinitive.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Hello. I would like to ask for this sentence, I cannot realise if it is well written, since I have read some samples like this in grammar pages:

I knew that a first conditional has Simple Present in the condition part and Simple Future in the result part.
Thank you.

If you stop eating so many chocolates, I will buy you some new clothes.
vs
If you will stop eating so many chocolate, I will buy you some new clothes.

The difference between the two is that #2 conveys a sense of persuasion, while #1 is just a statement of normal course of action.

:)

MARAMARA

Member Type
Student or Learner
I am thanked, David L, but I cannot still understand. If + Present Tense is = If you stop (for me) not If you will stop. And in your example: If you help me with the dishes, not If you will help me........... Could you explain me a bit more,? my mother tongue is Spanish, so, there could be my difficulty.
Best regards.

MARAMARA

Member Type
Student or Learner
OHH, thanks. I can understand the difference now, engee30. Will, in the 2nd case gives more emphasis to persuade somebody, as you said.
Best wishes.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
OHH, thanks. I can understand the difference now, engee30. Will, in the 2nd case gives more emphasis to persuade somebody, as you said.
Best wishes.

Spot-on, MARAMARA! :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.