Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Jack is juvenile releasing from prison. he don't have a any name. Before releasing from the prison, Terry sit with him and ask him which name does he like to call, So he select Jack as his name:

Jack: Jack.
Terry: What?
Jack: That's the name...That's the name I want.
Terry: Okay. Jack. Well, that's the first thing taken care of.

What is the meaning of "taken care of"?

I was confused because sentence ends with "of" which looks to me odd.

Source: Boy A 2007

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Jack is[/STRIKE] A [STRIKE]juvenile[/STRIKE] young man [STRIKE]releasing[/STRIKE] is about to be released from prison. He doesn't have a [STRIKE]any[/STRIKE] name. Before his [STRIKE]releasing from the prison[/STRIKE] release, Terry sits with him and asks him [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] what [STRIKE]name does[/STRIKE] he would like to be called, so he selects Jack as his name:

Jack: Jack.
Terry: What?
Jack: That's the name...That's the name I want.
Terry: Okay. Jack. Well, that's the first thing taken care of.

What is the meaning of "taken care of"?

I was confused because the sentence ends with "of" which looks odd to me. [STRIKE]odd.[/STRIKE]

Source: Boy A 2007

Please note my corrections above. You must remember to add an "s" to the third person singular verb in the present tense (Terry sits, asks, he selects).

"Taken care of" here means "dealt with". Choosing a name was something that needed to be dealt with/taken care of and now that has been done. Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong with ending a sentence with a preposition.

Edit: I just realised that we told you in another thread that we would only answer more of your questions when you correct the information in your profile. I won't delete my response in this thread because I spent valuable time on it but I won't answer any more until your profile is sorted out.

kingston_123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
what information do you want? you simple say sorted out. can you please specify which details must be sorted out.

kingston_123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Your profile states:

• Native Language: English
  • Home Country: Japan
  • Current Location: Andorra

That seems rather unlikely.

Now I corrected it. Anything left to do with me. :)