Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi all. I have watched a video clip, hearing one of two speakers say " there is a lot of choice in trainers. you should try on the ones that fit you well". the meaning is quite manifest, but the way they said is quite confusing to me, who have been taught in high school that should be "fit best", the superlative comparison. tks all!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi all. I have watched a video clip, hearing one of two speakers say "there is a lot of choice in trainers. You should try on the ones that fit you well". The meaning is quite manifest, but the way they said it is quite confusing to me, who was taught in high school that it should be "fit best", the superlative.

Thanks
all!

The meaning is not at all manifest (obvious), and it's no wonder you are confused. He should have said 'You should buy a pair that fits you well (you don't know whether they fit you well until you have tried them on).

There's more to buying trainers (sneakers) than the fit: the cost/style/colour/appearance. The ones that fit best may be too expensive/the wrong colour/uncool etc.

Most people have to compromise and settle for trainers that fit well/look good/are affordable.

Rover

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.