Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Are my sentences grammatically correct?

Fiver years after a massive earthquake hit the town, its traces were still visible: the derelict buildings left to decay, crumbling walls, cracks in facades, and piles of debris on the outskirts.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say a major earthquake. Also I would say there were piles of debris outside town.

Gareth_

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Spain
Great vocabulary use, Bassim!

Are my sentences grammatically correct?

Fiver years after a massive earthquake hit the town, its traces were still visible: the derelict buildings left to decay, crumbling walls, cracks in facades, and piles of debris on the outskirts.

I would say:

Five years after a massive earthquake hit the town, traces of the devastation remained: the derelict buildings left to decay, crumbling walls, cracks in facades. Beyond the town were piles of debris.

WHY? 'its traces were still visible' - not clear if you mean traces of the earthquake or traces of the town
If the piles of debris are the only element that is on the outskirts of the town (and the derelict buildings are elsewhere) it makes more sense to separate these elements.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Five years after an earthquake hit town you could still see evidence of it: cracks in buildings and piles of rubble.