Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
I have some questions on food.
1. In the novel Sons and Lovers, there is a description: But when Mrs.Morel scanned the bill of fare, her heart was heavy, things were so dear. So she ordered kidney-pies and potatoes as the cheapest available dish.
My questions are: 1. I was told Westerner don't eat animal organs. According to the novel this is not true. 2. Kidney-pie is cheap food is it? Do rich people eat it?
2. Around ten years ago I saw an American film Educating Reta ( I don't know whether the girl's name is correct or not) there is a scene: The professor invited Reta to a party at his home. Reta arrived at the professor's house but she didn't go in. I think the next morning the professor asked her why she didn't enter the house Reta said sh bought a bottle of Spanish wine. I don't see the connection between Reta's actions. What's wrong with the wine.
3. I was told that fish symbolizes life. Could you please tell me the origin
of it?

Thank you.

Jiang

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Dear teachers,
I have some questions on food.
1. In the novel Sons and Lovers, there is a description: But when Mrs.Morel scanned the bill of fare, her heart was heavy, things were so dear. So she ordered kidney-pies and potatoes as the cheapest available dish.
My questions are: 1. I was told Westerner don't eat animal organs. According to the novel this is not true. 2. Kidney-pie is cheap food is it? Do rich people eat it?

The umbles are entrails, and umble pie is what the servants used to eat (in England). In the USA we eat chicken liver and also calf liver, but that is about the only oran meat we eat. (Some people do eat calf brains.)

Kidney pie is, I think, fairly inexpensive (cheap). (It's a British dish.)

jiang said:
2. Around ten years ago I saw an American film Educating Reta ( I don't know whether the girl's name is correct or not) there is a scene: The professor invited Reta to a party at his home. Reta arrived at the professor's house but she didn't go in. I think the next morning the professor asked her why she didn't enter the house Reta said sh bought a bottle of Spanish wine. I don't see the connection between Reta's actions. What's wrong with the wine.

There seems to be no connection between the professor's question and Rita's answer.

jiang said:
3. I was told that fish symbolizes life. Could you please tell me the origin
of it?

That may be true in some cultures, but I don't know what those cultures are. Perhaps Red will do a Web search to find out for us.

:wink:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We do eat animal organs- liver and kidneys are commons, with offal, etc, used less. steak and Kidney pie is a well-known dish in the UK. Just kidney would be cheap as such cuts of meat are less expensive here. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.