For 150 metres the road was clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daruma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello.

Bristol woman spared jail over biker's death | Bristol news
Miss Gohil said: "She did look. For 150 metres the road was clear. Her mistake was she didn't look again when she manoeuvred. Had the deceased not been driving as fast as he was the accident would not have occurred.

Can I say "For 150 metres ahead the road was clear"? Does the original sentence sound better?

Thank you.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'd say it's likely 150m back that the road was clear. You don't have to look to check ahead, and oncoming traffic doesn't share our lane.

Clearly, the speeding driver came from behind.

Daruma

Member Type
Student or Learner
The road was clear 150 meters back.
Does this sound good?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, but that denotes a point 150 m back. To show it's clear throughout the 150 m, we would say "for 150m back."

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hello.

Bristol woman spared jail over biker's death | Bristol news
Miss Gohil said: "She did look. For 150 metres the road was clear. Her mistake was she didn't look again when she manoeuvred. Had the deceased not been driving as fast as he was the accident would not have occurred.

Can I say "For 150 metres ahead the road was clear"? Does the original sentence sound better?

Thank you.
Yes! You are correct. Here's the context:

"She admitted driving carelessly on the basis that, having checked for on-coming traffic, she failed to keep checking as she turned."

"You drove right in front of the deceased as he approached on his bike; you looked, you waited, you didn't look again immediately and your attention diverted to the road into which you were driving.

Source

Daruma

Member Type
Student or Learner
I'm really confused. Which is correct, "For 150 metres ahead ..." or "For 150 metres back ..."?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I'm really confused. Which is correct, "For 150 metres ahead ..." or "For 150 metres back ..."?

It's impossible to say. It depends on which way she was turning (left or right).

expoobedient

Member Type
Other
Correct expression is

'The road was clear upto a 150 metres...'

It effectively communicates that from where Ms Gohil was positioned she could see clearly upto that distance, hence she drove on but didnt......

Status
Not open for further replies.