Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I don't understand the dialogue near the end of the movie "Four Weddings and a Funeral":

Charles: ...after we've dried off, after we've spent lots of time together, you might agree...not to marry me? And do you think not being married to me might maybe be something you could consider doing for the rest of your life?

Do you?

Carrie: I do.

I don't understand the conversation. Is Charles proposing to Carrie? But why he said "not to marry me" and "not being married to me" and then Carrie answered "I do"? It's very confusing to a non-native speaker about the use of negative in this context. Could somebody help?

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
Charles: ...after we've dried off, after we've spent lots of time together, you might agree...not to marry me? And do you think not being married to me might maybe be something you could consider doing for the rest of your life?

Do you (think so)?

Carrie: I do.

(= Yes , I think so)

Charles (tongue-in-cheek)actually asks Carrie not to get married to him and to stick to that decision for the rest of her life and she agrees that it is probably the only way to have a working relationship with somebody.

hope this helps.:-D

ckcgordon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks for your explanation, beascarpetta.
So I guess my understanding of what Charles said to Carrie was wrong. Charles is NOT proposing to Carrie; but the other way round. He is asking Carrie not to marry him; just staying with him together.

Do I understand your explanation correctly?

beascarpetta

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Austria
Thanks for your explanation, beascarpetta.
So I guess my understanding of what Charles said to Carrie was wrong. Charles is NOT proposing to Carrie; but the other way round. He is asking Carrie not to marry him; just staying with him together.

Do I understand your explanation correctly?

Yes,that's right.I'm sorry but it's been ages since I saw that film so I don't remember all the details.
maybe this might be of help

Status
Not open for further replies.