Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

How do you call an inhabitant of Illinois? Illinoier?? Illinoian?
What about Michigan? Michiganer? Laker??

Member Type
Academic
Not being from the US, I only think that a Wolverine comes from Michigan. I may be wrong about that. From Illinois? Sorry, don't know. However, I'd be interested in the right answer.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Michigander or Michiganian is the State's term for a person from Michigan.

"Wolverine" is the team name and describes someone who attends(ed) University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, MI.

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you all. What about Illinois? Al Caponian? O'Harian?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Folks from Illinois call themselves "Illinoisians."

I was born and raised in Michigan, and we were also called "Michiganders." Then sometime in the 1980s some of the local press decided that "Michiganian" sounded better (the "gander" in Michigander made us sound like geese, they said) and started using that word in print. Today you'll find the state's residents to be somewhat divided on the issue of what to call themselves. (I'll always be a Michigander, though.)

Note: When pronouncing the state of Illinois, the final "s" is silent - it sounds like "Ill-eh-NOY." When saying "Illinoisian," though, the "s" is pronounced (Ill-eh-NOYZ-eean).

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Folks from Illinois call themselves "Illinoisians."

I was born and raised in Michigan, and we were also called "Michiganders." Then sometime in the 1980s some of the local press decided that "Michiganian" sounded better (the "gander" in Michigander made us sound like geese, they said) and started using that word in print. Today you'll find the state's residents to be somewhat divided on the issue of what to call themselves. (I'll always be a Michigander, though.)

Note: When pronouncing the state of Illinois, the final "s" is silent - it sounds like "Ill-eh-NOY." When saying "Illinoisian," though, the "s" is pronounced (Ill-eh-NOYZ-eean).

My word corrector seem to say "Illinoisan" Without the "i"

Status
Not open for further replies.