Interested in Language
Native Language
Sinhalese
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Australia
Hi All,

I came across following statement regarding Future Perfect Tense in one of the sites.

"Like all future forms, the Future Perfect cannot be used in clauses beginning with time expressions such as: when, while, before, after, by the time, as soon as, if, unless, etc. Instead of Future Perfect, Present Perfect is used."

Based on that I am wondering whether following sentence is incorrect.. Because there we use 'By the time', 'before' time expression where in the statement above stated we should not

- By the time I finish this course, I will have taken ten tests
- Will she have learned enough Chinese to communicate before she moves to Beijing?

Appreciate your response

Cheers

Shabar

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to Using English.

Your sentences are both correct.

Rover

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Like all future forms, the Future Perfect cannot be used in clauses beginning with time expressions such as: when, while, before, after, by the time, as soon as, if, unless, etc. Instead of Future Perfect, Present Perfect is used."
Where did you find this?

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:-? 'By the end of July, I will have been a member of UE for seven years.' 'In one of the sites' isn't very rigorous as citations go. ;-)

b

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The sentences you quote are correct, because the time expression is in a different clause to that containing the future perfect tense. Look again at the website you highlighted. It is all explained there.

Status
Not open for further replies.