game

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Do you guys know how to call in English a children´s game , in which girls have to jump over a piece of rubber band tied at the ends?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
learner said:
Do you guys know how to call in English a children´s game , in which girls have to jump over a piece of rubber band tied at the ends?

I'm not familiar with a game that involves jumping over a rubber band. If it is a rope, it could be "jump rope". :wink:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's probably because you spent too much of your time watching radios when you were a little girl.;-).

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
tdol said:
That's probably because you spent too much of your time watching radios when you were a little girl.;-).

:lol:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
learner said:

Is it 'cat's cradle'? I'm not sure, but the name rings a bell.

S

Susie Smith

tdol said:
learner said:

Is it 'cat's cradle'? I'm not sure, but the name rings a bell.

I'd also love to know the name of the game. Cat's cradle is the game in which you loop a piece of string tied at the ends on the fingers of both hands to form a pattern. Some people can successfully transfer this maze of string to another person's hands, but I never could. I am familiar with the game that is the object of our discussion. It is played by girls here in Brazil with a very long piece of elastic joined at the ends, not with a rubber band. I'm not sure whether American girls are familiar with this game. I'll ask my nieces about this. The game is relatively recent here - it first appeared about ten years ago.

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
Susie Smith said:
Could (or would) one of you guys explain the ambiguous sentence in blue to this latecomer? (just curious)

Hi Susie,
The sentence in blue was part of an English test I saw in a middle school a few weeks ago. I liked it so much I decided to keep it for my signature. ;)

S

Susie Smith

shane said:
Susie Smith said:
Could (or would) one of you guys explain the ambiguous sentence in blue to this latecomer? (just curious)

Hi Susie,
The sentence in blue was part of an English test I saw in a middle school a few weeks ago. I liked it so much I decided to keep it for my signature. ;)

And I thought I had seen "tests"! It really tickled me. Thanks. :lol:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've dined out on it since- it has to be the finest sentence ever used in a test.;-)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks for that- I don't think I'd have comer across the name.;-)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Susie got here before me. :-D I was going to say that we played a game like that when we were kids, and it was called Chinese Jump Rope. I never knew if that was the proper name for it, or if it was just a name the kids in our neighborhood gave it.

It consisted of a circular elasticized rope, similar to a bungee cord. Two people stood at each end with the rope around their ankles, and stood apart from each other so that the rope stretched out into an oblong shape. Then the "jumper" had different patterns and such (jump into the center with one foot, then two, then do a sort of cat's cradle thing with your feet, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.