Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I tried to rewrite #1 into #2 and #3 as follows. How can I make them sound natural?

1. And my sisters…I think they are the big trouble in my family, they don’t obey anyone's words and they let everyone angry. (Originally written by a junior ESL student.)
  2. I think my sisters are a big trouble in my family because they are going through their rebellious stage. They are often in a defiant attitude towards elder’s advice and make elders angry.
  3. I think my disobedient sisters are the troublemakers in my family because they don’t take advice from elders and always get on their nerves.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First of all, you didn't try to rewrite that sentence. You did. What you tried to do was make it better. Perhaps:

My sisters are rebellious and disobedient. They often make the elders angry when they refuse to take their advice.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We don't normally use 'elders' of older members of a family

And if we did, we would probably say the elders as we're referencing a specific family.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
And my sisters [STRIKE]…I think they are the big[/STRIKE] are often a source of trouble in my family. They don’t obey anyone's words, and they [STRIKE]let[/STRIKE] make everyone angry.

Try that.