Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
I have heard many Americans saying "Get the door" after the doorbell rings or somebody knocks on the door.
Does "get the door" means to open the door?

If it does, how about "get the door open?" Does it mean you get someone else to open the door for you?

Do "get the door" is common among Americans or is it equally common in Britain and Australia?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Get the door" and "answer the door" are identical in meaning, and about equally common in AmE.They mean: go to the door and attend to the visitor. Depending on who the visitor is, one might decide to open the door and speak to the person, let them into the house, ignore them and leave the door closed, or even perhaps shout at them through the door.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The expression is also common in British English, and other varieties.

Aamir Tariq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
"Get the door" and "answer the door" are identical in meaning, and about equally common in AmE.They mean: go to the door and attend to the visitor. Depending on who the visitor is, one might decide to open the door and speak to the person, let them into the house, ignore them and leave the door closed, or even perhaps shout at them through the door.

Very informative. What about the expression "Get the door open", does it has the same meaning? I heard it in a couple of movies.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Hong Kong
If I cannot open a door, I may say "Get the door open", hoping that someone can open it.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with Matthew Wai. To my knowledge "get the door open" is not a set phrase. It would be used only in special circumstances. This being Canada, I once had a garage door that was stuck to the ground by ice. That's the only time I had occasion to use "get the door open".