[Vocabulary] Ginny and Kate had talked money before, during the years they were roommate.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
I can't figure bold part out. What does "talk money" mean?

When Ginny needed to hire a director of business development at her marketing firm, she turned to her closest friend, Kate. Ginny and Kate had talked money before, during the years they were roommates. Still, it is business. It brought up issues like negotiating salary and professional success, things most people want to keep separate from their friendships. Not to mention that Ginny would be Kate's boss.

Source: QSkills for speaking and listening.

Last edited:

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks RobertJ. I also had the same idea as yours. I though the word "about" was missing. However, I listened to the Mp3 file of that context and it was "..had talked money".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You will also hear the expression talking turkey (at least in American English). It means seriously discussing something important, usually a business deal.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You will also hear the expression talking turkey (at least in American English). It means seriously discussing something important, usually a business deal.
And it should be "Talking about turkey"in formal conversation.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And it should be "Talking about turkey"in formal conversation.

Not unless the people are talking about the country. The expression talking turkey is a fixed phrase. You can change the tense ("It's time to talk turkey"/"It was time they talked turkey") but you can't introduce a preposition.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi all,
I can't figure bold part out. What does "talk money" mean?

When Ginny needed to hire a director of business development at her marketing firm, she turned to her closest friend, Kate. Ginny and Kate had talked money before, during the years they were roommates. Still, it is business. It brought up issues like negotiating salary and professional success, things most people want to keep separate from their friendships. Not to mention that Ginny would be Kate's boss.

Source: QSkills for speaking and listening.

No one seems to be answering your question.

"To talk (about) money" means to discuss things to do with money. In this case, she wants to hire her former roommate, Kate, as Business Development Director in her marketing firm. To do this, she must discuss her salary and expectations of success of the marketing firm. This is awkward for Ginny since she is friends with Kate.