Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Tuvalu
Current Location
Tuvalu
hi,

I'd like to know is the following usage for ''go past'' is correct, please.

when I look at the graph after measuring the ... , I see many spikes and valleys. as I slide the finger on the "x" axis on the graph, I get different values depending on the spike or valley the finger is going past.

the context is the following: it is a software for smartphone that exhibits a two axis diagram (or graphic). on the diagram I can see a parabola with many spikes and valleys. as I run the finger on the parabola, a value is shown on the screen. I think I should have used ''run'' instead of ''go past'', but I'd like to know if "go past" sounds too non-native English, please.

thanks.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
hi,

I'd like to know is the following usage for ''go past'' is correct, please.

When I look at the graph after measuring the ... , I see many spikes and valleys. As I slide a finger on the "x" axis on the graph, I get different values of ...., depending on the spike or valley the finger is going past.

the context is the following: it is a software for smartphone that exhibits a two axis diagram (or graphic). on the diagram I can see a parabola with many spikes and valleys. as I run the finger on the parabola, a value is shown on the screen. I think I should have used ''run'' instead of ''go past'', but I'd like to know if "go past" sounds too non-native English, please.

thanks.

"Going past" works perfectly well for me. You might consider adding what is is you are getting different values of [ie whatever is being measured on the "y" axis]
Note my other corrections. Always start a sentence with a capital letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.