Poland
Current Location
UK
hi there
what is the difference between:?:

she has got
she got
when we use each one can plz provide examples

1.sha has got= she has.... (present simple) or she has just received ....(present perfect)
She has got one brother=possesion(present simple)
she has just got a gift= and the result: she is happy;-)(present perfect)

2.she got= she received .... in the past (past simple)
she got a gift two weeks ago and she was happy:-D

do you understand now?

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
1.sha has got= she has.... (present simple) or she has just received ....(present perfect)
She has got one brother=possesion(present simple)
she has just got a gift= and the result: she is happy;-)(present perfect)

This is exactly where the verb phrase (or the semi-modal) have got derives from - I got something in the past and still have it = I have got it.
:)

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
a very good point:up:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
This is when we talk about possession. The following, however, doesn't mean the same:

you say that in the sentence: "She has just got a gift" we are talking about possession? In my opinion the verb "have" is used as an auxiliary verb with past participle of get to make present perfrect form.:lol:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
you say that in the sentence: "She has just got a gift" we are talking about possession? In my opinion the verb "have" is used as an auxiliary verb with past participle of get to make present perfrect form.:lol:

We share the same opinion on that have is used as an auxiliary verb with the past participle form of the verb get - all the same, it indicates possession, doesn't it? She got a gift and still has it, isn't it?
:)

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
not really,

As an ordinary verb, not an auxiliary one, have is used to talk about states: possession, relationships, etc.

If it was "She has got a gift" we would talk about possession.
The "just" makes the difference. It doesnt imply any possession but the fact that someone gave her a gift and she has just received it which makes her happy.

But you were right about the relationship thing;-).

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
The "just" makes the difference. It doesnt imply any possession but the fact that someone gave her a gift and she has just received it which makes her happy.

There's a good point. :)

But you were right about the relationship thing;-).
:up:

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
not really,

As an ordinary verb, not an auxiliary one, have is used to talk about states: possession, relationships, etc.

I'm not a teacher, and I feel a bit awkward about complicating this, but there is another way to parse "she has just got a gift." Here's an example:

The woman in question has just (that is, in the immediate past, very recently) done something which has surprised or amazed someone. The person thus surprised asks a third person, "How did she do that?" and the response is "She's just got a gift". Here "just" doe not talk about time, but could be thought of as meaning, "only" or "simply". So, "She's just got a gift" in the situation I've described would mean, "the only explanation I can give is that she has a gift(talent, or natural flair or ability)"

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
I'm not a teacher, and I feel a bit awkward about complicating this, but there is another way to parse "she has just got a gift." Here's an example:

The woman in question has just (that is, in the immediate past, very recently) done something which has surprised or amazed someone. The person thus surprised asks a third person, "How did she do that?" and the response is "She's just got a gift". Here "just" doe not talk about time, but could be thought of as meaning, "only" or "simply". So, "She's just got a gift" in the situation I've described would mean, "the only explanation I can give is that she has a gift(talent, or natural flair or ability)"

Wow, I got really impressed by the way you parsed the sentence. :)
This time you were talking about a feature, which is not exactly the same as possession, let alone a recent event of receiving something.
:cool:

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
This time you were talking about a feature, which is not exactly the same as possession, let alone a recent event of receiving something.
:cool:

I suspect that if you asked most native speakers who are not trained as English teachers to assess the usage I outlined, they would associate it with the idea of possession. "Where did she get that great voice?" "it's something she has", "something she was born with". It's the sort of thorny one that lets me know it's time to call in the professionals. :oops::lol:

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Good analysis, Stuart. Until I got to a certain point in your description, that meaning just hadn't occurred to me. You must have a gift. :)

I don't think the pros have all these differences sorted out either. To me 'having a brother or sister' is a kind of possession, so here, I disagree a wee bit with you, Engee, but it isn't all that important. Students just have to understand how and where it's used.

Now I'm gonna throw a wrench [a spanner, for you Brits; what word do NZlanders use?] in the works.

For NaE the present perfect form uses [always, I'm not sure] the past participle form 'gotten' to discuss the meaning of acquired/received/etc.

A further complication is that "She got ..." and "She's got ..." can carry the same meaning. In fast casual speech, <'s> & <'ve> can be missed because it is often unvoiced or almost unvoiced.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Has/have as auxiliay verb, used independently to show possession; Example - She has a bike. But here we are talking about verb "got" which indicates action meaning acquisition. So this is simply a difference between use of two tense forms i.e. past simple and present ferfect. We use the past simple to talk about an event which happened at some point in time in the past. Example: She got a bike two weeks ago. We use present perfect for actios just completed. Example: She has got a bike today.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Has/have as auxiliay verb, used independently to show possession; Example - She has a bike.

In your sentence, the verb has is not an auxiliary verb, it's a lexical verb (or a full/main verb).
:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.