grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

The following multiple choices are very confusing. Are my choices right?

1. They will have it finished in_______.
a. three quarters of an hour b. three quarters of an hour's time
The key is b. But I think a is correct because b sounds weird.
2. _______ of the two books holds the opinion that the danger of nuclear war is increasing.
a. Either b. Neither
The key is b. I think a is also correct.
3. A man escaped from prison last night. It was a long time_________ the guards discovered what had happened.
a. before b. since
'a ' is certainly correct. Does 'b' make sense if I want to mean ' A man escaped from prison last night and guards discovered it long time ago'?

Another sentence is ' The construction of these treasures was a loss for mankind that no amount of money could make up for'.
I think 'make up for' should be followed by 'it'. In other words the sentence misses the word 'it' after the phrase 'make up for' . Am I right?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anonymous said:

Both are good, but the first is more likely.

2. _______ of the two books holds the opinion that the danger of nuclear war is increasing.
a. Either b. Neither

Both are correct.

3. A man escaped from prison last night. It was a long time_________ the guards discovered what had happened.
a. before b. since
'a ' is certainly correct. Does 'b' make sense if I want to mean ' A man escaped from prison last night and guards discovered it long time ago'?

No, only "before" fits there.

Another sentence is ' The construction of these treasures was a loss for mankind that no amount of money could make up for'.
I think 'make up for' should be followed by 'it'. In other words the sentence misses the word 'it' after the phrase 'make up for' . Am I right?

No, because it is a that clause. If you want to use it you have to make it a compound sentence, thus:
  • The destruction of those treasures was a loss for mankind, and no amount of money can make up for it.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Anonymous said:

a. Either b. Neither
a. before b. since

I agree with Ron, but this one is a bit of a problem.

a. Either b. Neither

I would not use "either" there. If both books have the same opinion., I would say "Both of the books hold the opinion...." That doesn't mean that "either" is wrong, but I think this is more natural.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
MikeNewYork said:
Anonymous said:

a. Either b. Neither
a. before b. since

I agree with Ron, but this one is a bit of a problem.

a. Either b. Neither

I would not use "either" there. If both books have the same opinion., I would say "Both of the books hold the opinion...." That doesn't mean that "either" is wrong, but I think this is more natural.

You are right. "Either" doesn't really make sense there.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.