grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have come across the following multiple choices and feel confused. I try to analyze them. I picked the two that are confusing the other two choices are abosolute wrong.

1. After_______for the job, you will be required to take a language test.
a. being interviewed b. interviewed
The key is a. But I think both are correct. 'being interviewed' is participle while 'interviewed' is an elliptical sentence. There is another sentence ' Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. Here 'when scolded' is the same as 'after interviewed'. Am I right?

2. _________ in an atmosphere of simple living was what her parents wished for.
a. The girl's being educated b. The girl educated
The key is a. But I think b is also correct. 'A' means her parents wished for an stmosphere of simple living while 'b' means her parents wished for a girl who is educated. Am I right?

3. _________ that man has learned much from the behavior of animals is hardly new.
a. That b. What
The key is 'a' while I think 'b' is also correct. 'a' is a subject clause. And the sentence means it is a fact that man has learned much from the behavior of animals. 'b' means The fact that man has learned much form the behavior of animals was known long before or is nothing new. Am I right?
 
Last edited:

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
(bumping topic to let our teachers see it)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
1. After_______for the job, you will be required to take a language test.
a. being interviewed b. interviewed
The key is a. But I think both are correct. 'being interviewed' is participle while 'interviewed' is an elliptical sentence. There is another sentence ' Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. Here 'when scolded' is the same as 'after interviewed'. Am I right?

An elliptical sentence only works if the unstated words are understood. Also, for your comparison to be valid you would have to use after in both sentences. Your example sentence is perfectly idiomatic, but we wouldn't say Michael used to look hurt and surprised after scolded. However, Michael used to look hurt and surprised when interviewed, while it might seem like an odd statement, it would probably be understood.

Does that help?

:)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
Red5 said:
(bumping topic to let our teachers see it)

What do you mean?

When somebody posts to a discussion that "bumps" that one to the front of the line (so to speak). (Red was probably unaware that we had already dealt with those questions.)

:)
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
RonBee said:
jiang said:
1. After_______for the job, you will be required to take a language test.
a. being interviewed b. interviewed
The key is a. But I think both are correct. 'being interviewed' is participle while 'interviewed' is an elliptical sentence. There is another sentence ' Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. Here 'when scolded' is the same as 'after interviewed'. Am I right?

An elliptical sentence only works if the unstated words are understood. Also, for your comparison to be valid you would have to use after in both sentences. Your example sentence is perfectly idiomatic, but we wouldn't say Michael used to look hurt and surprised after scolded. However, Michael used to look hurt and surprised when interviewed, while it might seem like an odd statement, it would probably be understood.

Does that help?

:)

I am afraid I have to make sure that I understand you perfectly. Is this what you mean:
The sentence 'After being interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a language test' is idiomatic. The sentence 'After interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a lnaguage test ' can be understood but it not idiomatic. Then is the second sentence correct? If not does it have something to do with the conjunctions 'after' and 'when'?

Jiang
 
Last edited:

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
RonBee said:
jiang said:
1. After_______for the job, you will be required to take a language test.
a. being interviewed b. interviewed
The key is a. But I think both are correct. 'being interviewed' is participle while 'interviewed' is an elliptical sentence. There is another sentence ' Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. Here 'when scolded' is the same as 'after interviewed'. Am I right?

An elliptical sentence only works if the unstated words are understood. Also, for your comparison to be valid you would have to use after in both sentences. Your example sentence is perfectly idiomatic, but we wouldn't say Michael used to look hurt and surprised after scolded. However, Michael used to look hurt and surprised when interviewed, while it might seem like an odd statement, it would probably be understood.

Does that help?

:)

I am afraid I have to make sure that I understand you perfectly. Is this what you mean:
The sentence 'After being interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a language test' is idiomatic. The sentence 'After interviewed for the job, you will be required to take a lnaguage test ' can be understood but it not idiomatic. Then is the second sentence correct? If not does it have something to do with the conjunctions 'after' and 'when'?

The example sentence I was referring to is Michael used to look hurt and surprised when scolded. If you fill in the "missing" words that reads:
  • Michael used to look hurt and surprised when he was scolded.

'After interviewed for the job is not something I would expect somebody to say. It is not idiomatic English and thus it would, in a sense, require some interpretation. Thus the use of that phrase would create somewhat of a barrier to communication.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top