Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

In the sentence'Careful surveys have indicated that as many as 50% of patients do not take drugs as directed' why as directed instead of as they are dicrected or as are directed?
I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a lot tidier without the subject\verb IMO. Also, if you stuck them in, you might add 'to' after the verb. All round, it doesn't improve the sentence. ;-)

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you for your explanation. But I have two questions: First, What does IMO mean? Second, after which word should I add 'to' ?
Thank you.
Jiang
tdol said:
It's a lot tidier without the subject\verb IMO. Also, if you stuck them in, you might add 'to' after the verb. All round, it doesn't improve the sentence. ;-)
:?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In My Opinion, also IMHO (Humble).

As they are directed to..
;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "complete" sentence might read:
  • Careful surveys have indicated that as many as 50% of patients do not take drugs as they are directed to by their doctors.

However, the omitted words are understood and thus unnecessary.

:)

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I came across the sentence:

I hope all the precautions against air pollution, as suggested by the local government, will be seriously considered here.

If I complete the clause it should be 'as was suggested by the local .....'. am I right?

Thank you.

Jiang

RonBee said:
  • Careful surveys have indicated that as many as 50% of patients do not take drugs as they are directed to by their doctors.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:

I hope all the precautions against air pollution, as suggested by the local government, will be seriously considered here.

If I complete the clause it should be 'as was suggested by the local .....'. am I right?

Thank you.

Jiang

RonBee said:

Yes, you can insert "was" there if you like. I think that clause is fine. However, the rest of the sentence seems a little odd. I would rewrite it. Perhaps:
  • I hope all the actions to prevent air pollution, as suggested by the local government, will be seriously considered here.

What do you think?

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have noticed you changed some words. I am sure you are right.
Thanks!
Jiang

RonBee said:
jiang said:

Thank you.

Jiang

RonBee said:

Yes, you can insert "was" there if you like. I think that clause is fine. However, the rest of the sentence seems a little odd. I would rewrite it. Perhaps:
  • I hope all the actions to prevent air pollution, as suggested by the local government, will be seriously considered here.

What do you think?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We do not take precautions against air pollution. Instead, we try not to cause it, or we take steps to prevent it.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear RonBee,

Thank you so much for your further explanatin. To tell you the truth I didn't understand why you replaced 'precautions' with 'action' and used 'prevent'. I wanted very much to ask you the reason for that but being afraid of bothing you too much I didn't do so. It seems you guessed I don't understand it and you sent me the explanation. Now I fully understand the reason. Thanks!!!

Jiang

RonBee said:
We do not take precautions against air pollution. Instead, we try not to cause it, or we take steps to prevent it.
:D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're welcome. I am glad to help. It is certainly true that usage can be tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.