Grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,
The following is a writing passage. Four blanks are required to fill in. My questions on the keys to the blanks follow the passage. The answers are in the brackets.

For example, in the less populated regions of the world _1__( such as/like) tribal areas, laws or customs may be enforced by a council of elders or by strong chief or leadeer of the tribe much in the manner of a father who decides what behavior is best for his children. __2__( For another example ), in the sparsely populated great open land of places like Australia, Canada, Siberia, and Brazil, a few olicemen must travel grate distances to enforce laws made to protect people and property. In countries where most of the people live in crowded urban areas,_3___(however) law enforcement is usually in the hands of large numbers of police who are directly responsible to the chief government official for that area. __4___(As still another example), countries have cooperated in establishing various organizations and methods, including military or police action, to enforce the rules and laws agreed to by a majority of the cooperating nations.

The first question is : For number 2, can we put 'however', 'on the contrary', 'to the contrary' and 'but'?
The second question is: For number 3, can we use 'for instance/for example' instead of 'however?

Thank you.

Jiang
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
jiang said:
The first question is : For number 2, can we put 'however', 'on the contrary', 'to the contrary' and 'but'?

No. Use however (for example) only to contrast with something that came before. In fact, I wouldn't put anything in the blank, but if I did I would say For example. However, that sentence does not give an example of something mentioned in sentence one.

jiang said:
The second question is: For number 3, can we use 'for instance/for example' instead of 'however?

No. The word however is perfect there.

:)
 

jiang

Key Member
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear RonBee,
Thank you for your explanation. But I don't quite understand your explanation. Can I use 'however' in the second blank to contrast the first sentence of the paragraph? Because in that sentence we have ' in the less populated regions of the world'. In the second sentence we have 'in the sparsely populated great open land of ...'.

Jiang
RonBee said:
jiang said:
The first question is : For number 2, can we put 'however', 'on the contrary', 'to the contrary' and 'but'?

No. Use however (for example) only to contrast with something that came before. In fact, I wouldn't put anything in the blank, but if I did I would say For example. However, that sentence does not give an example of something mentioned in sentence one.

jiang said:
The second question is: For number 3, can we use 'for instance/for example' instead of 'however?

No. The word however is perfect there.

:)
:?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top