grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddkzk

Member Type
English Teacher
Which tense should I use? I guess the present perfect is better;on the other hand, the time adverb refers to the past, I am not sure. Can you help me please?
After two years, I finally have had a car.
Or,
After two years, I finally had a car.

albertino

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Which tense should I use? I guess the present perfect is better;on the other hand, the time adverb refers to the past, I am not sure. Can you help me please?
Or,
Present perfect. "I finally have had a car" is the consequence of having been waiting for two years.
(Not a teacher);-)

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
If referring to the car that I have just managed to buy, I would say "After two years I finally have a car", but if referring to the past, "After two years I finally had a car".

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher

Or,

'have', in this case, is the wrong verb in order to show possession, Eddkzk. It works fine for the present simple,

"I have a car",

but using the verb 'have' in present perfect holds a meaning that you no longer have a car.

1. After two years, I finally have got a car.

Or,

2. After two years, I finally got a car.

Number 2,

"After two years, I finally had a car"

sounds like a narrative where you're telling the story of your life and you're re-living that time when you had a car.

Regarding 'after two years', it's fine. It holds a meaning of "up to now", so it matches the present perfect just fine.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Oh dear, another of these across the pond differences!

In BrE there is no problem in saying "I have a car" in this way. It is not necessary to include the inimitable "got".

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher

In BrE there is no problem in saying "I have a car" in this way. It is not necessary to include the inimitable "got".

There's no cross pond difference, Anglika. You'd better have another read. I wrote,

It works fine for the present simple,

"I have a car",

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Maybe there is no big across the pond difference in this case. I think many N A English speakers would answer exactly as you did.

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Maybe there is no big across the pond difference in this case. I think many N A English speakers would answer exactly as you did.

To reiterate, there is NO cross pond difference with respect to using 'have' in the present simple to denote possession/ownership;

After two years, I finally have a car.

But just because the present simple verb form 'have', can be used in the present simple tense to denote possession/ownership doesn't mean that 'have' can also be used in the simple past or the present perfect to denote possession/ownership.

I hope that Eddkzk and Albertino and other ESLs reading this thread understand this difference.

Now, when we introduce the collocation, <I've got/gotten>, it gets a little more complicated. There are cross pond differences and what I'm going to say here applies only to NaE, NOT to BrE.

Some suggest that <I've got> is a present perfect but I maintain that it is simply an alternative form, but more emphatic form that means the same as <I have>.

<I've gotten> is a present perfect but it has a meaning of "S have/has acquired".

To Eddkzk's original question:

Or,

We now know that 'have' is not possible here in the simple past or the present perfect without a change in meaning; changes that would render/make Eddkzk's original meanings very different, ie. both would be finished/"past tense" meanings denoting that he had a car but doesn't now have a car.

By using the verb 'get', we stay with a meaning denoting that he still has a car, which, I'm quite sure, is Eddkzk's meaning.

NaE uses three different verb collocations for three different purposes:

{I've removed the finally's from all three examples so we can focus on the verb form}

1. After two years, I have gotten a car.

2. After two years, I got a car.

3. After two years, I've got a car.

Number 1, with <gotten>, is a true present perfect that carries the meaning of "acquired".

Number 2, using <got>, is the past simple that also carries the meaning of "acquired".

Number 3, using the present perfect FORM plus <got> has a stative meaning denoting ownership/possession.

As I mentioned/As I've mentioned, BrE uses this in a different manner than NaE. I'll leave that description to the Brits.

Status
Not open for further replies.