grandmother/grandma/grannny/gran... grandfather/grandad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Which home names for "grandmother" and "grandfather" are used in modern English? Are "granny/grandma/gran" equally common and used interchangeably? And are there any variations for "grandad"?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are plenty of variations and they differ even between families, let alone regions.

I knew all four of my grandparents and three of my great-grandparents and I called them:

- Jo and Des (my mum's parents) - those were their first names, also used by my mum and her two sisters, who didn't use "mum/dad"
- Gran and Pete (my dad's parents) - I have absolutely no idea why it wasn't "Gran and Granddad" or "Phyllis/Phyl and Pete" (their actual names).
- Nan and Pop (my mum's maternal grandparents) - I think I just copied what my mum called them.
- Nana Trumble - (my mum's paternal grandmother) - again, I just copied what my mum called her.

So, as you can see, within my family, the terms "nana", "nan" and "gran" were used, as well as actual names.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have heard "Granddad", "Grandpa", "Gramps" and "Pop/Poppa" used for grandfathers, although the latter seems to be usable for father, grandfather or great-grandfather.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Grandma and Grandpa (pronounced "grampa") are common in the US. In Appalachia and places with Appalachian heritage, great-grandparents are often called Ma-maw and Pa-paw, with emphasis on the first vowel, which is the first vowel in "apple".

I think Granddad may be fairly widespread, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.