Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear teachers,

I have two questions to ask:

1. When I was learning English as a beginner I learned from the textbooks that in a shop a shop assistant would greet you with 'Can I help you?'. But when I watch TV I heard a shop assistant say something like 'How is everything?'. Is it a special case or shop assistants have changed their way of addressing their customers? And how should a customer reply to this greeting?

2. I also noticed in a film that when people meet each other they said somthing like 'Hi, there' or maybe 'Hi, they'. From the context it functions like 'Hi'. Am I right? If I am, when do people use it? Is it used in informal situation and to friends?

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
jiang said:
1. When I was learning English as a beginner I learned from the textbooks that in a shop a shop assistant would greet you with 'Can I help you?'. But when I watch TV I heard a shop assistant say something like 'How is everything?'. Is it a special case or shop assistants have changed their way of addressing their customers? And how should a customer reply to this greeting?

Some salespeople believe "Can I help you?", the answer to which is either "Yes" or "No", might cost them a sale, so they alter their language so as to gain a sale,

Q: How may I help you?
A: I'm looking for ~ I'm not sure ~

2. I also noticed in a film that when people meet each other they said somthing like 'Hi, there' or maybe 'Hi, they'. From the context it functions like 'Hi'. Am I right? If I am, when do people use it? Is it used in informal situation and to friends?

Hi, there is used with friends, and even with strangers you feel comfortable with. :D

I look forward to hearing from you is rather formal. :wink:

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your explanation. Now I see.
Could you please make a suggestion as to what to use instead of 'I am looking forward to hearing from you"?

Jiang
Casiopea said:
jiang said:

Some salespeople believe "Can I help you?", the answer to which is either "Yes" or "No", might cost them a sale, so they alter their language so as to gain a sale,

Q: How may I help you?
A: I'm looking for ~ I'm not sure ~

Hi, there is used with friends, and even with strangers you feel comfortable with. :D

I look forward to hearing from you is rather formal. :wink:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
jiang said:
Could you please make a suggestion as to what to use instead of 'I am looking forward to hearing from you"?

Jiang

Forums/Email: Looking forward to your reply.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:D
Now I see. I hope, if it doesn't bother you too much, you could always point out my mistakes or inapproriate use of English.

Jiang

Casiopea said:
jiang said:

Jiang

Forums/Email: Looking forward to your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.