Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear Teachers,

I have two more questions on greetings:

No.1

Could you please tell me when people say 'Good luck' instead of 'Goodbye' what should I say? Is it 'Good luck' or 'Goodbye'?

No.2

When seeing somebody off people would say ' I wish you a pleasant journey'. What should I say? Is it 'Goodbye' or 'Thank you'?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance.

Jiang

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
No.1

Could you please tell me when people say 'Good luck' instead of 'Goodbye' what should I say? Is it 'Good luck' or 'Goodbye'?

You could say, "Thank you" or "Thanks". If you will never see the person again, you could say, "Good Luck to you as well", which means good luck in life, and not good luck in your travels. :D

No.2

When seeing somebody off people would say ' I wish you a pleasant journey'. What should I say? Is it 'Goodbye' or 'Thank you'?

Both: Thank you. Goodbye. :D If they too are traveling, you could reply, "You, too", meaning I, too, wish that you, too, will have a pleasant journey.

jiang

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you very much for your explanation. Could you please read the other post which I also posted today because I don't quite understand the explanation?

Jiang
Casiopea said:
No.1

You could say, "Thank you" or "Thanks". If you will never see the person again, you could say, "Good Luck to you as well", which means good luck in life, and not good luck in your travels. :D

No.2

Both: Thank you. Goodbye. :D If they too are traveling, you could reply, "You, too", meaning I, too, wish that you, too, will have a pleasant journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.