Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm watching a clip in which grocery stores is being pronounced as groshree by a native speaker of English. Wondering whether this is common amongst native speakers of BE/AE. Some dictionaries have the word listed and I listened to it multiple times, however I can't hear any /ʃr/ sound!
Created this thread to become aware of your opinions. How do you pronounce the word, actually? Is it "shree" or "sree"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you post a link to the clip? Without it, we don't know if it's an accent, a dialect, a speech impediment or someone who's just for some reason grown up pronouncing it differently from most people.

Theoretically, it shouldn't even sound like "sree" at the end. It should be "grow-suh-ree" (I don't do phonetics) but hardly anyone pronounces the middle "e".

Mnemon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're right, we can't listen to it. Without further context, I'd have to just go for: That's just the way the speaker says it. It's not a common or natural pronunciation.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You will hear it pronounced as two syllables by some, but they'd say /grəʊsriː/ (grosree). I haven't heard the pronunciation you mention.

Mnemon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Western Pennsylvania.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The two syllable version with 'sh' is the quite common in my region (Western Kansas), and is in fact how I pronounce it as well.

I think the two syllable 'GROWshree' version is pretty common throughout the US.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Apart from in some regional AmE varieties, the "sh" version would be considered non-standard. Use the "s" version and use three syllables (with the stress on the first): gro - sə -ree. That's how most other varieties say it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The two-syllable version is common in many varieties. It is given in the Longman Pronunciation Dictionary as an alternative pronunciation.

Last edited: