[Grammar] Guests are expected to bring gifts, often money, which the groom and bride...

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The following sentence is in a paragraph. I was wondering that which in this sentence is Gifts, Money OR Gift and Money?.I would go for Gifts because "often money" is just a piece of additional information. Please explain to me whether my teacher choosing Gift and Money is correct or not. And why? Thanks in advance.

"Guests are expected to bring gifts, often money, which the groom and bride at one point in the banquet will go from table to table collecting."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think 'which' refers to gifts, including money.

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think so. But I would like to know exactly if which is Gifts or Money or Both of them in this situation from teachers or language experts. Please help me out with this problem.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Four native speaking moderators and/or teachers have liked Matthew's reply.

I'd say we have nothing substantial to add.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
"often money" is parenthetical here. The sentence has the same meaning as the following:

"Guests are expected to bring gifts (such gifts often being money), which the groom and bride..."

Son Ho

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
"often money" is parenthetical here. The sentence has the same meaning as the following:

"Guests are expected to bring gifts (such gifts often being money), which the groom and bride..."

The phrase "often money" can be left out without affecting the tense, so "Gifts, oftenmoney,"is a subject in the following sentence:

" Gifts (, often money,) are collected."

And "often money" simply gives more specific information about gifts. Then if someone asks me to choose between Gifts or Gifts and Money, I finally can make sure 100% that my choice is Gifts, can't I?

Last edited: