Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

I am learning the names for different hand signs (V-sign, A-ok sign etc.) and their meaning.

In my country we have a special sign I cannot find any equivalent for, perhaps there's not this one in English speaking countries... It is like a V-sign, but with a different meaning. You do the V-sign, but you place your hand behind somebody's head in a way the the two fingers (V-sign) stick out of their heads and the people seeing them see them as if they were wearing a dunce cap. It is a way of saying that somebody is stupid or being stupid. This is very common among school children.

Is there any English sign for this?

Thanks

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That sign is called 'bunny-ears', but it doesn't suggest any kind of foolishness. People do it in photos, just to make the victim look silly. (Anyway, I don't see shy it looks like a dunce's cap - the angles are wrong.)

b

PS You may come across the term 'foolscap' in old sources. Most people in English-speaking countries (except the USA ;-)) use the A-series of paper sizes. A4 is the nearest to foolscap, but it's shorter and wider. But I only mention this because 'foolscap' was so called because when first produced it had as a watermark a fool's cap.

ophiuchus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Status
Not open for further replies.