Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

Hannah came to the party wearing a red cape and a floppy black hat. A white wool scarf was wrapped up around her neck. She was large and mannish, and wherever she turned up, she became an object of attention.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
a white woolen scarf

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am wondering if my sentences are grammatically correct.

Hannah came to the party wearing a red cape and a floppy black hat. A white [STRIKE]wool[/STRIKE] woolen scarf was wrapped [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] around her neck. She was large and mannish, and wherever she turned up, she became an object of attention.

The big problem I have with these sentences is that the last sentence does not follow the first one. You are describing her entering a party and she sounds like she is well dressed. Then in your last sentence you describe her in a rather negative way. "She became an object of attention" is a bit meaningless to me because the way you describe her. Is the attention due to her mannish looks and being large (hardly flattering) or her sense of style.

That aside, I would write the part I highlighted in red this way

She was a large mannish woman and the object of attention wherever she went.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Lynxear,

I have tried to describe a Viking woman, you can see in Nordic countries. They are tall and large and often dress fashionably. They immediately drew attention to themselves.

Lynxear

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Well, now you understand the role that context plays in making the sentence understandable. You never provided context so I took the sentence at face value.

My corrections still apply.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is there anything in your description that alerts the reader to the fact that she is Viking? I am afraid that I missed this.