Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Are my sentences grammatically correct?

Hannah has been promised promotion by her boss, but her colleague Linda told her not to deceive herself. She was promised promotion also by the same man who intended to have sex with her in return.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are my sentences grammatically correct?

Hannah has been promised a promotion by her boss, but her colleague Linda told her not to deceive herself. She was also promised a promotion (delete also) by the same man who intended to have sex with her in return.
It's all a little unclear. Did Hannah get offers from two different supervisors? I'm wondering how two different people can offer a promotion to the same employee.

Or - is the She in the second sentence Linda? Then you need a comma after by the same man, and you need to clarify who She is.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I would have suggested the same corrections as Charlie B, but I didn't find it at all unclear, myself. The fact that it was the same man in the second sentence seems to dispel any possible misunderstanding.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I think that my sentence is clear. I don't understand how could you understand that it was about two different men? My sentence says, " She was also promised a promotion by the same man..." There is no need to clarify anything because the sentence is clear as it is. Both Hannah and Linda were promised a promotion by the same man. Linda warned Hanna not to trust her boss because he also promised Linda a promotion and wanted to have sex in return.