Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Hi
I just read a sentence like this: "she has established a good reputation WITH herself and neighbors. "

I could understand:sb has a good reputation AMONG others. But really confused with the usage of "with" here. How to understand this sentence?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.
I just read [STRIKE]a sentence like[/STRIKE] this sentence: "She has established a good reputation WITH herself and neighbors. "

I could understand (no colong here) "[STRIKE]sb[/STRIKE] somebody has a good reputation AMONG others" but I am really confused [STRIKE]with[/STRIKE] by/about the usage of "with" here. How [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] can I understand this sentence?

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.[/STRIKE] ​Unnecessary. You can thank us after we help you by clicking on the "Thank" button.
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

The original is unnatural. A person doesn't establish a good reputation with themselves! Who wrote that sentence and where did you find it? I changed "a sentence like this" to "this sentence" because I hope you have given us the exact sentence you saw. If you only saw a sentence like it, we won't be able to help because we don't know exactly what you read.

Last edited:

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
This is how I would write it:

She has established a good reputation among her neighbors.

Yoyo2012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Australia
Hi
Thanks for the replies and the correction. Very helpful.
I read this sentence in the classical novel of <Great Expectations>,by Charles Dickens,in the beginning of the Chapter 2. The original context is:" My sister was twenty years older than I,and had established a great reputation WITH herself and the neighbors because she had brought me up "by hand". "..........

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Bear in mind that Charles Dickens lived from 1812 to 1870. Language has changed quite a lot since then.