''have got''

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carmenn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Lately, i've heard people using the present perfect of the verb ''get'' when the cation actually takes place in present and i tought we say ''I've got...'' when the action takes part in past and it is continued even in present. So... we say ''I've got'' when we talk about present tense? like in ''I have''?

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Lately, i've heard people using the present perfect of the verb ''get'' when the cation actually takes place in present and i tought we say ''I've got...'' when the action takes part in past and it is continued even in present. So... we say ''I've got'' when we talk about present tense? like in ''I have''?

When you say "I've got" you mean "I have". We talk about present of course.:)

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Exactly.

I've got is very commonly used in place of I have in spoken English, but you'll almost never see it written -- I have is the normal written form.

Maybe "have got" is more specific to AmE.
AmE: Have you got a family?
BrE: Do you have a family?

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania

Have got and have are used when talking about possession:

I have got a house, haven`t I?
I have a house, don`t I?

but, for actions , use: have
I`m having a shower at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.