Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
England
is it ok to use "do" and "make" in the same context in BrE, as I do hear it a lot but I'd like to make sure that it isn't a mistake?

"I will do dinner."
"I will make dinner."
"He does music.".
"He makes music."

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's very common to say do dinner in the sense of doing all the work that getting dinner on the table involves.

It's likely, though, that do music would not mean the same thing as make music. We'd need specific context to say anything more.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Jutfrank that do dinner works. Do music could be used in certain contexts, like teaching the subject.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
At least in AmE, it's fairly common to substitute the verb 'do' for a more specific verb when the context makes it clear.

I'll do the lawn if you'll do the garden = something like "I'll rake/mow the lawn if you'll water/weed/pick the garden. It only works if both parties understand what verb is really meant.

I suppose this use is probably more like slang, but "I do/don't do X" is a way of saying you enjoy or partake of something. I think we tend to use mainly the negative or interrogative form.

I don't do heavy metal music.
Do you do spicy food?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not everybody uses "do" so liberally. However, we definitely use it in sentences such as:

I don't do that.

Or:

That's not something I do.