He felt beneath his right arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbow402

Member Type
Student or Learner
TUCSON — Bernard Lagat leaned forward at his dining room table, staring at his laptop computer. He felt beneath his right arm.

“I’m sweating,” he said.
On the screen was the start of the 1,500-meter final at the 2004 Athens Olympics. The announcers spoke German. The fact that he could not understand their words filled Lagat with possibility.

Dear Teacher,

What does it mean for " He felt beneath his right arm"?:roll: What did he feel beneath his right arm? sweat?

Thanks in advance!:)

stuartnz

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
New Zealand
I'm not a teacher, but here's the Oxford English Dictionary's primary definitions for "feel":

I. To examine or explore by touch. 1. a. trans. To handle (an object) in order to experience a tactual sensation; to examine by touching with the hand or finger.

I think in this situation, the first meaning makes sense - "he examined or explored by touch" the area beneath his right arm.

banderas

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
Dear Teacher,

What does it mean for " He felt beneath his right arm"?:roll: What did he feel beneath his right arm? sweat?

Thanks in advance!:)

he checked the area beneath his rigt arm=he feelt beneath his right arm

BobK

Harmless drudge
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In a crime novel, someone who felt under his right arm would be a left-handed person checking on whether he had remembered to put his gun in its holster. But I doubt whether Bernard Lagat is like that. ;-)

b

rainbow402

Member Type
Student or Learner
In a crime novel, someone who felt under his right arm would be a left-handed person checking on whether he had remembered to put his gun in its holster. But I doubt whether Bernard Lagat is like that. ;-)

b
Sir,

I surmise you are not only an English teacher :-Dbut also moonlight as a detective. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.