Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
There are times when your interlocutor suddenly stops following you (that is, they don't understand you). They either got tired or you are simply too far from one another in some way. (For instance, you're an astronaut, they're a football player.) They keep on smiling but the overall expression of their face shows they're not with you now. How can I describe this? In Russian, we would probably say something like "He got lost". Is the latter possible in English?

And it looks funny sometimes. I think there must be some funny expressions for this. Are there? :)

Last edited:

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Who is supposed to make that comment, you or a third person?
I'd like to know both options (if they are different for the first and third persons). :)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Try:
You seem/he seems a bit lost.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd probably snap my fingers in front of their face and say "Hellooooo! Are you still with me?"
If I were the one whose concentration had wandered off, when I came back to the conversation, I'd say "Sorry. I was in a little world of my own!" (BrE)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd probably snap my fingers in front of their face and say "Hellooooo! Are you still with me?"
If I were the one whose concentration had wandered off, when I came back to the conversation, I'd say "Sorry. I was in a little world of my own!" (BrE)

American English too.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Alternatively: 'Sorry. I was miles away'.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are times when your interlocutors suddenly stops following you (that is, they don't understand you). They either got tired or you are simply too far from one another in some way. (For instance, you're an astronaut, they're football players.) They keep on smiling but the overall expressions their faces show they're not with you now. How can I describe this? In Russian, we would probably say something like "He got lost". Is the latter possible in English?

Yes. You've lost them.

And it looks funny sometimes. I think there must be some funny expressios for this. Are there? :)

I can't think of any off-hand.

In each sentence, eiither make your object plural and use plural pronouns, or make your object singular and use singular verbs. Don't shift back and forth. So, for interlocutor, use he, she, him, her, his, and hers. For interlocutors, use they, them, their, and theirs.

If a parenthetical expression is inside the sentence, it's not capitalized and the period goes outside. If it's its own sentence, it's capitalized and the period is inside.

GeneD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
In each sentence, eiither make your object plural and use plural pronouns, or make your object singular and use singular verbs. Don't shift back and forth. So, for interlocutor, use he, she, him, her, his, and hers. For interlocutors, use they, them, their, and theirs.
Thanks, Charlie. I've followed your advice and made some changes in the first post, but I haven't changed everything you advised. I'll explain it. The problem is, I'd like to use the word "interlocutor" in its singular form so that it doesn't seem that I'm describing a group of people. Initially I used "he" as a substitute for the "interlocutor", then changed it to "he or she" and then gave it up because it sounded awkward to me and started another thread where I asked if it's possible to avoid the "he/she" expression (https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/257511-Avoiding-quot-he-she-quot-expressions). So you can see it's a long story. :-D I've used the pattern being advised in that thread, and I was warned that it's not accepted as 100% correct by some people, especially editors. :)

Last edited: