[Grammar] He is very shy of opposite sex.

Tomoki

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I'm nowadays quite confused with usage of " of with adjectives'.

Example sentence is here: He is very shy of opposite sex.

What I'd like to know is what grammatical rules are used there, or name of grammatical subject related to this problem. I'll learn myself in latter case.

Thank you for your time and please help me out.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J&K Tutoring

Is your example sentence one you made up, or did you see it somewhere?

You should start by looking at the word "shy" in your dictionary, and discover that it can mean two very different things. Your example sentence means either:
1. He is not comfortable when females are present, as in: He is shy around the opposite sex. We could mean the same and include the word of by saying: 'He is very afraid of the opposite sex.'

OR:
2. He is not quite equal to females. This understanding is illogical, but it fits your example's usage of "shy of" as in: 'I am just shy of 60 years old.'

I can set aside your example and make my own sentence with the word of followed by an adjective: 'He is full of big ideas.' We could take out the adjective (big)and still understand the sentence about the same: 'He is full of ideas.'

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm (delete nowadays) quite confused with the usage of "(no space)of" with adjectives(no apostrophe).

An example sentence is here: He is very shy of opposite sex.

What I'd like to know is what grammatical rules are used there (no comma) or the name of a grammatical subject related to this problem. I'll learn myself in latter case.

Thank you for your time. Please help me out.

You might say:

- He is very shy of the opposite sex.
- He's very shy around the opposite sex.
- He's very shy with the opposite sex.

Your grammar is good. Be sure to use "the."