Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Mother Firefly, who was taken into custody, says to Sheriff Wydell, who have come to see her:

Well well well, working late tonight, aren't we, Sheriff? What's the matter? Can't sleep? Hell running loose in the streets?

What is the meaning of "Hell running loose in the streets"?

I checked this thread, but here in this quote, "running" is mentioned. how to understand it?

Source: The Devil's Rejects (2005)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It appears that he is the sheriff, and his title is Sheriff Wydell. Is that right, Kingston?

GoesStation

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Kingston, you have to find something to read which is better suited to your level of English. Studying the contemporary, slangy texts you're reading is something to save until you've mastered basic English better.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mother Firefly, who was taken into custody, says to Sheriff Wydell, who [STRIKE]have[/STRIKE] has come to see her:

Well well well, working late tonight, aren't we, Sheriff? What's the matter? Can't sleep? Hell running loose in the streets?

What is the meaning of "Hell running loose in the streets"?

I checked this thread, but here in this quote, "running" is mentioned. [STRIKE]How to understand it[/STRIKE] How can I understand this?

Source: The Devil's Rejects (2005)

'Hell running loose' has a very similar idea to 'hell breaking loose'. The only difference is now that hell has broken loose, it's running freely about on the streets.

We have previous explained have/has to you before - see post #4 here. I think we've also previously explained ways to ask questions about words you don't understand.

I'm going to suggest you post questions less frequently, and take some time to absorb some of the information we've supplied. It's frustrating to see a constant stream of questions which demonstrate no evidence of you applying feedback, and which show the same repeated errors.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Kingston, you have to find something to read which is better suited to your level of English. Studying the contemporary, slangy texts you're reading is something to save until you've mastered basic English better.

I agree, but what I haven't understood is where the OP is getting these texts. Most of these quotations are from movies that aren't based off of books (as far as I know), plus the sources are always cited with a year. All of this leads me to think that many of the questions are based off of movie subtitles, which could well be erroneous to begin with, or the OP simply is careless when transcribing the subtitles.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Purely for information, "based off of books/movies" would not be used in BrE. We use "based on books/movies".