• Exciting news! With our new Ad-Free Premium Subscription you can enjoy a distraction-free browsing experience while supporting our site's growth. Without ads, you have less distractions and enjoy faster page load times. Upgrade is optional. Find out more here, and enjoy ad-free learning with us!

Help me understand this sentence, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sinhalese
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
The organization ... of social responses makes it possible for the individual to call out in himself not simply a single response of the other but the response, so to speak, of the community as a whole....

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It might help if you quoted the whole sentence, Kat, and tell us where you found it.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sinhalese
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
This is the whole para:

The organization ... of social responses makes it possible for the individual to call out in himself not simply a single response of the other but the response, so to speak, of the community as a whole.... As scientists, we will say, one's community consists of all his colleagues, but this community includes anyone who can understand what is said. The same is true of literature. The size of its audience is a functional one; if the achievement of organization is obtained, it may be of any size. Bigness may in this sense be an indication of qualitative achievement (pp. 267-68).

I found this on the scholarly article of Lenox Grey on Arts as a media of communication... I cannot understand what is he trying to say by this

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you.

I fear it's too 'scholarly' for me.

I must be thick.:-(

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am afraid it doesn't mean much to me, either.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Too clever for me by half! I can't imagine why a scholarly article would include "The organisation ... of social responses" - I want to know what the words replaced by the ellipsis are.

This part, in particular, is either over my head or a load of old tosh: "... makes it possible for the individual to call out in himself not simply a single response of the other but the response, so to speak, of the community as a whole".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This part, in particular, is either over my head or a load of old tosh: "... makes it possible for the individual to call out in himself not simply a single response of the other but the response, so to speak, of the community as a whole".
The latter, I think.

Scrub that - The latter, I am sure.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm glad to find another graduate of toshology in the ranks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So, Kat, you have had three native speakers, all of them experienced teachers, who cannot understand this tosh, so don't worry about your inability to understand it.

Until I left England, I was a regular reader of Private Eye. Its Pseuds Corner regularly mocked such tosh.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sinhalese
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Sri Lanka
It's ok.. Thanks for sparing time for me :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.