HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Dear teachers,
I am now an English student from china. A few days ago when I was having my advanced English Course, a strange came into my eyes. The word , "prepster", however , is now known by any of our teachers and I can't still find the meaning of it through any of the online-dictionaries.
Could you please kindly give me some help-- what does the word "prepster" mean .Thank you so much. :?:

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
I can't find it in any dictionary, but a search on Google found 2,900 entries online! It seems to be a word used as a name for some kind of preparatory course.

J

jwschang

future said:
Dear teachers,
I am now an English student from china. A few days ago when I was having my advanced English Course, a strange came into my eyes. The word , "prepster", however , is now known by any of our teachers and I can't still find the meaning of it through any of the online-dictionaries.
Could you please kindly give me some help-- what does the word "prepster" mean .Thank you so much. :?:

A guess here, but get someone to confirm it.
It could come from the term "prep-school", "prep" deriving from preparatory (prepare). So "prepster" could mean a student attending a preparatory course. :wink:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think it is, like 'preppie', although the terms are AE, I think. ;-)

J

jwschang

tdol said:
I think it is, like 'preppie', although the terms are A, I think. ;-)

Monster, trickster, gangster, broadcaster, youngster, mister, webmaster. :wink:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
prepster is a diminutive term (implying smallness or affection) used to refer to prepatory school students. It can hold a positive or negative meaning:

Positive: My little brother is a prepster. (He's so cute.)
Negative: My little brother is a prepster. (He's not one of us.)

About Words
prep-, from clipping prepartory school student.

-ster, from Old English, denoting a person associated with a particular activity or quality (e.g., young+ster = youngster)

the Caster, the RonBeester, the jwster, the tdolster :D

Status
Not open for further replies.