Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
I just don't understand the meaning of some words in these sentences.

-> The hunting season began in the fall and continued until midwinter. There expeditions frequently took the hunters away from the village for long periods of time. Moose, deer, beaver, bear, and elk were the aniamals sought. Large deer drives were common, and small animal were taken with snares or the bow and arrow.

Does the animals means the hunters looking for their games? Actually i don't konw the meaning of the clause (the animals sought).
And what dose deer drives means? :-?

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
-> The hunting season began in the fall and continued until midwinter. Their expeditions frequently took the hunters away from the village for long periods of time. Moose, deer, beaver, bear, and elk were the animals sought. Large deer drives were common, and small animal were taken with snares or the bow and arrow.
The animals sought are the animals the hunters are looking for (hunting). I am not familiar with the term "deer drives", but it does, no doubt, have something to do with hunting deer. However, at this point I would have to guess at its precise meaning.

:)

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
A deer drive is where the hunters close in on an area and force all the deer in that area into an enclosed space where they can be easily killed.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A deer drive is where the hunters close in on an area and force all the deer in that area into an enclosed space where they can be easily killed.
That doesn't seem sporting.
:-|

Status
Not open for further replies.