hotel english

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hi. I'm trying to get a job at a hotel where you would need to speak English frequently... I'd appreciate any help with English possibly spoken at a hotel.

Thank you.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, there are, of course, different jobs at a hotel. "How can I help you?" is a phrase that would often come in handy. There are several set phrases that are probably used quite often. Examples:
  • May I help you?
    How can I help you?
    May I help you with those bags?
    Let me show you to your room.
    How many are in your party?

Those might prove useful.

:)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A: I would like to stay at your hotel.
B: How many are in your party?
A: Just two--me and my wife.
B: How long will you be staying with us?
A: We will be staying over the weekend.
B: That will be Saturday and Sunday then?
A: Yes.
B: Do you want a single room or would you prefer a suite.
A: We'll take a suite.
B: That will be the 29th and the 30th then?
A: Right.
B: You're booked for the weekend.

:)
 
C

CitySpeak

Guest
teddy said:
Thanks. What about when you take a reservation from a customer?

I suggest writing your own dialog. I'll take a look and see if I can come up with any good variations on what you have written. Conversation is unpredictable. It's good to have as many example dialogs as possible.

Your English is quite good. I think you could come up with your own dialog as well.

Give it a shot. I'll come back and read it.

:idea: :idea: :?: :?: :shock: :shock: :) :)
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That was good advice from CS. Write a sample dialog. Then we will give you our opinions.

:)
 
T

teddy

Guest
Thank you very much for all your help. That means a lot to me. :) Ok. Here are some dialogues I would like to be checked. I am not good at giving directions...(I will make it as complicated as possible.)

Guest: Where can I find a good sushi restaurant around here?
Me: Let me see... First, just go out the front door, head down in the direction opposite to the train station. Make a left at the third traffic light and go about a block. There's a road construction up there and you pass it, you will see the sign board of the restaurant "Best Sushi". It's about 5 minutes walk from here.
G: I don't think I got that.
M: Do you want me to draw a map for you?
G: That should help. Thanks.

Guest: Is there a men's room on this floor?
Me: Oh, it's on the 2nd floor. Go halfway down the hall and there are stairs. You go up and make a right. It's halfway in the hall.
G: I don't like to go up the stairs. Is there an elevator?
M: Yes. You pass the stairs. It's at the end of the hall.
G: Ok. Then how can I get there from there?
M: You get off the elevator. Walk to your left(? When you get off the elevator, there is a hall sideways and I want to instruct him to go to the left side of the hall), make a left at the first corner. It's on your right.
G: I got it. Thanks.
M: You're welcome.

G: We would like to have breakfast.
M: We provide a free breakfast for our guests. Here are the tickets. Each one of you give one of them to the clerk(waiter/waitress). It's a buffet style. You have to pay for alcoholic drinks.

G: I would like to order room service. (Do you have room service?)
M: I'm sorry, we don't have room service. But we have vending machines for snacks on the 3rd, 5th and 8th floor, if you like.


Thank you.
 

RonBee

Moderator
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
teddy said:
Guest: Where can I find a good sushi restaurant around here?
Me: Let me see... First, just go out the front door, head down in the direction opposite to the train station. Make a left at the third traffic light and go about a block. There's a road construction up there and you pass it, you will see the sign board of the restaurant "Best Sushi". It's about 5 minutes walk from here.
G: I don't think I got that.
M: Do you want me to draw a map for you?
G: That should help. Thanks.

That is good, but I would say "Would you like me to draw a map for you?" (I think that is politer.) Also, say "after you pass it...."

What do you think?

teddy said:
Guest: Is there a men's room on this floor?
Me: Oh, it's on the 2nd floor. Go halfway down the hall and there are stairs. You go up and make a right. It's halfway in the hall.
G: I don't like to go up the stairs. Is there an elevator?
M: Yes. You pass the stairs. It's at the end of the hall.
G: Ok. Then how can I get there from there?
M: You get off the elevator. Walk to your left(? When you get off the elevator, there is a hall sideways and I want to instruct him to go to the left side of the hall), make a left at the first corner. It's on your right.
G: I got it. Thanks.
M: You're welcome.

That is good, but say go down the hall.

teddy said:
G: We would like to have breakfast.
M: We provide a free breakfast for our guests. Here are the tickets. Each one of you give one of them to the clerk(waiter/waitress). It's a buffet style. You have to pay for alcoholic drinks.

G: I would like to order room service. (Do you have room service?)
M: I'm sorry, we don't have room service. But we have vending machines for snacks on the 3rd, 5th and 8th floor, if you like.

That is good, but I wouldn't use "if you like" in the last sentence. (They're there regardless, aren't they?

:)
 
T

teddy

Guest
Thank you very much for checking it. I was not really sure if I could make myself understood with those dialogues...

I have some more questions.
Would it be preferable if I always add "sir" or "ma'am" to the end of the sentence? And what is the common way(or a polite way) to call a waiter/wiatress at a restaurant and a taxi driver? Would "waiter" or "driver" do just fine? "Driver. Could you take me to...?" "Waiter. Can I get some water, please?"

How do you call people;
(1) at the front desk who check guests in and out, take reservations
(2) who carry guests' baggage to their room
(3) who clean the rooms, make beds

Could you share your good and bad experiences at hotels you stayed in, if you don't mind?


I'm sorry I have asked you a lot of questions...(I may ask more later...)

Thank you.
 
L

Lynne Hand

Guest
Hotel qs

Dear Teddy

A couple of tips for anyone working in the hotel industry - Use would or could in question forms to make them more polite?

Say "Excuse me..." to attract the attention of members of hotel staff. I would never call someone "Waiter" or "Driver" as it seems extremely rude (I am British though).

What do you call the people who:-

(1) work at the front desk who check guests in and out, take reservations - RECEPTIONIST (UK) CHECK-IN CLERK / DESK CLERK (US)
(2) carry guests' baggage to their room - PORTER (UK) BELLHOP/BELLBOY (US)
(3) clean the rooms, make beds - CHAMBERMAID or HOUSEKEEPER or CLEANING PERSON (rare)

As you can see there is quite a difference between British (UK) and American (US) English in the catering industry.

You could also listen and watch a video with some vocabulary you may find useful on Ten Days a short course onthe BBC web site-

I hope this helps. 8)

Lynne Hand
 
T

teddy

Guest
Re: Hotel qs

Hi. Thank you for your help. Yes. It helped me a lot. And thank you for the great link. Do you happen to know any American websites equivalent of the one you gave me? I'd like to look further into how British and American English differ like you said.

Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top