How do you call it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi,

Everytime when I talk to someone, he always starts with "well..." in each sentence. Or someone who is addicted to the use of "C'mon, Man!" Something like 'platitude' or stereotype. I don't know the correct phrase. Hope you understand my question. 8)

Francois

I call them 'crutch words'. They help to keep the flow of the discussion, while you actually think about what you're going to say. As for everything, overusing them is no good.
Sometimes, non-native speakers just think it sounds cool, or believe it will make him/her appear more fluent. If the conversation is riddled with mistakes, this is the same effect as wearing Church's or Berluti's shoes with a Nike track suit.

FRC

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Have you ever heard yawning can be contagious? If you see someone yawning, the next moment you yawn.

Is verbalism a contagious disease? My friend likes to say 'really', when you think of her, you think of the crutch word "really". Out of the blue, I started to embed 'really' in my conversation. How can I describe this situation?

:wink:

bmo

blacknomi said:
Have you ever heard yawning can be contagious? If you see someone yawning, the next moment you yawn.

Is verbalism a contagious disease? My friend likes to say 'really', when you think of her, you think of the crutch word "really". Out of the blue, I started to embed 'really' in my conversation. How can I describe this situation?

A copycat.

BMO

Francois

I would say you contracted her verbal tic.
You can catch local accents too (eg. british/texan/new-yorker...).
I suppose it would take some time for most people to catch it though (whether it's a verbal tic or accent), as it sounds bad or bizarre before you get used to it.

FRC

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
Very interesting!

How about "a pet phrase"?

A pet phrase is usually more conscious -- a choice. Many of these crutch words are habitual, such as: like, ya' know, well, etc. :wink:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:

Contagious or catching would be good. :wink:

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Francois said:
I would say you contracted her verbal tic.
You can catch local accents too (eg. british/texan/new-yorker...).
I suppose it would take some time for most people to catch it though (whether it's a verbal tic or accent), as it sounds bad or bizarre before you get used to it.

FRC

Thanks a lot, there. That is exactly what I wanted. :up:

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
Very interesting!

A pet phrase is usually more conscious -- a choice. Many of these crutch words are habitual, such as: like, ya' know, well, etc. :wink:

Danke schoen. I see, crutch words are those you use in daily conversation unconsciously. But what is pet phrase by your definition as 'more conscious'? Do you mean it's more like slang or something, such as buddies, dudes, kiddo?

:?

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, a pet phrase is a favourite expression someone has, usually a little different form the norm, like people who say 'a tad' in the UK instead of 'a bit'. ;-)

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
I need more examples about pet phrase and crutch word to analysize the difference.

Thank you a lot in advance.

Francois

crutch words are used to keep the flow of the discussion going, while the speaker thinks about what he's going to say and/or how.
Eg. "Well, I would tend to think that she's, er, a bit off, you know what I mean."
Maybe the speaker generally hardly ever use them, the term 'crutch word' doesn't imply anything about how often the speaker use it.
On the contrary, 'pet phrase' suggests that the speaker likes the phrase and presumably use it pretty often.
Eg. "He likes her, to say the least. He's treated her to a fancy restaurant, and that must have set him back, to say the least".
The speaker seems to like the underlined phrase! It might well be a 'pet phrase' of his.

FRC

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Francois said:
crutch words are used to keep the flow of the discussion going, while the speaker thinks about what he's going to say and/or how.
Eg. "Well, I would tend to think that she's, er, a bit off, you know what I mean."
Maybe the speaker generally hardly ever use them, the term 'crutch word' doesn't imply anything about how often the speaker use it.
Got it. Thanks. It doesn't really carry exact meaning itself just to keep the conversation successive.

Francois said:
On the contrary, 'pet phrase' suggests that the speaker likes the phrase and presumably use it pretty often.
Eg. "He likes her, to say the least. He's treated her to a fancy restaurant, and that must have set him back, to say the least".
The speaker seems to like the underlined phrase! It might well be a 'pet phrase' of his.

FRC

You have to do excercise everyday, at least(pet), um...(crutch) one hour everyday. Well...(crutch) you know(crutch)...you've been staying in the office all the time, and I can see your bottom grow into your chair. C'mon (crutch), at least(pet) stand up once every one hour and try to activate your body.

Am I right? :D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
blacknomi said:
MikeNewYork said:
blacknomi said:
Very interesting!

Danke schoen. I see, crutch words are those you use in daily conversation unconsciously. But what is pet phrase by your definition as 'more conscious'? Do you mean it's more like slang or something, such as buddies, dudes, kiddo?

:?

We all have some favorite expressions or usages that we repeat. Computer programs have been written that can identify an unknown author by comparing a work to many known writings of a variety of authors. It is similar to a linguistic fingerprint.

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
I have questions about my 'Subject'.

How do you calll it?
What do you call it?

RL

Member Type
Student or Learner
blacknomi said:
I have questions about my 'Subject'.

How do you calll it?
What do you call it?

Good question, Blacknomi :) I wanted to ask the same thing.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd use 'what'. ;-)

blacknomi

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
What do you call it?

Cambridge said:
castles in the air
plans or hopes that have very little chance of happening

mirage
a hope or desire that has no chance of being achieved

Your talk is just like hot air. It's a castle in the air. It's simply a mirage.

All the same meaning? :?:

Status
Not open for further replies.