Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Please read the story here:

http://www.chickensoup.com/books/soup_2_sample_01.html

About "He ran into the ninth-grade bully", which interpretation do you think is correct: the interpretation that he was bullied by the ninth-grade student during his eigth-grade year (i.e. a ninth-grade student bullying an eigth-year student), or that he became a ninth-grade student, and then he was bullied (i.e. bullying among ninth-grade students)?

Taka

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
He was bullied by the bigger student. ;-)

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
He was bullied by the bigger student. ;-)

While he was still in the eighth-grade? Aren't there any possibility that he became a ninth-grade student, and then bullied by the bigger student of the same grade?

henry

Taka said:
Please read the story here:

http://www.chickensoup.com/books/soup_2_sample_01.html

About "He ran into the ninth-grade bully", which interpretation do you think is correct: the interpretation that he was bullied by the ninth-grade student during his eigth-grade year (i.e. a ninth-grade student bullying an eigth-year student), or that he became a ninth-grade student, and then he was bullied (i.e. bullying among ninth-grade students)?

Taka

Taken out of the context, the best interpretation, in my opinion, would be that he was bullied by the ninth-grade student as his grandmother said " every bad thing you do will also come back to you".
What do you think ? :wink:

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
henry said:
Taken out of the context, the best interpretation, in my opinion, would be that he was bullied by the ninth-grade student as his grandmother said " every bad thing you do will also come back to you".
What do you think ? :wink:

Yeah, I agree with you. But my question is when he was bullied: while still in the eighth-grade or after being in the ninth-grade??

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It could be either. there's no time indicator to suggest whether it happened whole the bully was still in the 8th grade or the following year. I don't know the American system, so I don't know the significance of the years. If 9th grade is the start of a new school, then I'd say that it was probably the following year. If not, then it could have been the next day. ;-)

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
It could be either. there's no time indicator to suggest whether it happened whole the bully was still in the 8th grade or the following year. I don't know the American system, so I don't know the significance of the years. If 9th grade is the start of a new school, then I'd say that it was probably the following year. If not, then it could have been the next day. ;-)

I understand.

Thank you very much for your comments, tdol!

Arigato!!

henry

Yeah, I agree with you. But my question is when he was bullied: while still in the eighth-grade or after being in the ninth-grade??

I am not quite sure of when it could have happened since there is no cue that could confirm whether it's during or after.
In other words, I can't tell when!

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
henry said:

I am not quite sure of when it could have happened since there is no cue that could confirm whether it's during or after.
In other words, I can't tell when!

Thank you too, henry!

Taka

Taka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
tdol said:
It could be either. there's no time indicator to suggest whether it happened whole the bully was still in the 8th grade or the following year.

By the way, tdol, did you mean to say while instead of whole ? A typo??

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Taka said:
tdol said:
It could be either. there's no time indicator to suggest whether it happened whole the bully was still in the 8th grade or the following year.

By the way, tdol, did you mean to say while instead of whole ? A typo??

It undoubtedly is a typo.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.