How many languages do you speak?

How many languages do you speak?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peanut

I speak Dutch very well and a little English, German and French. :)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Peanut said:

Would you say that you speak four languages fluenty? Or that you speak one language fluently and three languages adequately? Or something else?

:)

C

charlotte

I speak Portuguese (my native language), English and German. I can speak just a little bit of Spanish. I learned French at school for three years, but if you ask me to say something in French... well... don't! :wink:

N

noar

Arabic and english only.
I like to learn more languages but i find it hard to learn alone or no one i talke to.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
noar said:
Arabic and english only.
I like to learn more languages but i find it hard to learn alone or no one i talke to.

You speak two languages, eh? That's one more than me. :wink:

(Say: "I would like to learn more languages.")

bmo

Three. English, Mandarin and Taiwanese - my first language. I studied Japanese, Spanish and German in school many years ago.

BMO

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow!

:D

So Mandarin is considered a separate language from Taiwanese? But they do have many similarities, don't they?

Would you say you speak three languages and understand (somewhat) three others?

bmo

Mandarin and Taiwanese (i.e. Fujianese, spoken in the Fujian province of China, Taiwan, Singapore, and Chinese communities of Philippines and other southeast Asia countries) are very similar but they cannot understand each other.

I only had one semester each of German and Spanish, but I had a couple years of Japanese in school. I can do simple conversation and probably can get around in Japan, that is all. It is hard to understand news on TV but I can guess since Japanese uses many Chinese characters in their writings.

German, Spanish and a medical terminology course help me in understanding English vacabulary roots.

BMO

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the interesting explanation.

:D

S

sanny

But you are from London, aren't you?
Why can't you speak English so well than?
You said 'not sure', don't you?

S

sanny

RonBee said:
Peanut said:

Would you say that you speak four languages fluenty? Or that you speak one language fluently and three languages adequately? Or something else?

I'm from Holland too. So I can speak for Peanut.
At school they try to teach us English, German and French and at some schools Latin and Greek. At my school they teach me English, German and French.

I can speak a lot of English, not in grammar very well, but you can understand me. And I can speak German, not as well as English, but you can understand me if I would speak a little bit. I can also speak French, better than German and I like the language very much.
But if you want to learn some French, German or Dutch, I'll be happy to teach you. :wink: When I have finished my education I want to be a teacher, so then I can practise a little bit.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
sanny said:

Italianbrother is living in London now, but judging by his name he is originally from Italy.

(Say: "You said 'not sure', didn't you?")

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
sanny said:
RonBee said:
Peanut said:

I'm from Holland too. So I can speak for Peanut.
At school they try to teach us English, German and French and at some schools Latin and Greek. At my school they teach me English, German and French.

I can speak a lot of English, not in grammar very well, but you can understand me. And I can speak German, not as well as English, but you can understand me if I would speak a little bit. I can also speak French, better than German and I like the language very much.
But if you want to learn some French, German or Dutch, I'll be happy to teach you. :wink: When I have finished my education I want to be a teacher, so then I can practise a little bit.

It would be "cool" to get to speak German with you, but I don't think I will ever get that chance. :(

My late sister-in-law was from Austria, but I didn't get to speak German with her very much. Unfortunately, we didn't get along very well. Maybe it was because of that time I asked her how old she was ("Wie alt sind sie?"). (Probably not.)

BTW, I don't think you want to say they try to teach you English, German and French unless you mean to suggest that they don't do a very good job of it. :wink:

(BTW = by the way)

(Apparently, Peanut is not coming back. That's too bad. I rather like that nickname.)

sanny said:

Hello,
Like Ron said, yes I do live in London but English is not my first language, and it's only a few years that I've been studying it.
I do love it and I do use it quite a lot: academic essay writing, projects, exams and all that sort of things. I must say, however, that it is very difficult to grasp those little tricks, which really makes a prose to flow.
Take care.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
italianbrother said:
sanny said:

Hello,
Like Ron said, yes I do live in London but English is not my first language, and it's only a few years that I've been studying it.
I do love it and I do use it quite a lot: academic essay writing, projects, exams and all that sort of things. I must say, however, that it is very difficult to grasp those little tricks, which really makes a prose to flow.
Take care.

I remember when you joined my class- you couldn't put two words together. ;-) ;-) ;-)

I remember when you joined my class- you couldn't put two words together. ;-) ;-) ;-)[/quote]

My Dear Respected Teacher :wink: ,
you do know, i must say, how to make a person blush..
Thank you very much indeed for your help!!
ItalianBro.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan