Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Susie Smith said:
I speak two languages well: English and Portuguese.

Welcome to our friendly forum!

:hi:

S

sanny

RonBee wrote:

It would be "cool" to get to speak German with you, but I don't think I will ever get that chance.

I don't understand why you'll never get that chance?! Do you mean the pronouncation? That's no problem, I can write the pronouncation behind the words! ;)

henry

Red5 said:
Indicate how many languages you speak by voting, and then describe what they are.

I speak Siyang/Chin( my mother tongue), Burmese, English, German and French ( have been learning only for about 2 years).

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
sanny said:
RonBee wrote:

It would be "cool" to get to speak German with you, but I don't think I will ever get that chance.

I don't understand why you'll never get that chance?! Do you mean the pronouncation? That's no problem, I can write the pronouncation behind the words! ;)

I meant literally speaking it. So I guess I sort of mean pronunciation. I never get to speak it with anybody. So my ability to carry on a conversation in German is minimal at best. If you don't use it you lose it.

If I see written German I can "catch" some of it. If you write to me in German I'll try to figure it out.

I suppose that where you are it's not so hard to find people to practice with. Am I right?

:)

W

wingsin806

Red5 said:
Indicate how many languages you speak by voting, and then describe what they are.

i come form Hong Kong
i can speak in cantonese,english(not very well)and mandarin

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
wingsin806 said:
Red5 said:

i come form Hong Kong
i can speak in cantonese,english(not very well)and mandarin

Actually, your English is not that bad. Send me a PM, and I'll see if I can help. May I ask how old you are?

S

sanny

RonBee said:
sanny said:
RonBee wrote:

I meant literally speaking it. So I guess I sort of mean pronunciation. I never get to speak it with anybody. So my ability to carry on a conversation in German is minimal at best. If you don't use it you lose it.

If I see written German I can "catch" some of it. If you write to me in German I'll try to figure it out.

I suppose that where you are it's not so hard to find people to practice with. Am I right?

Well, normally I don't speak it very much. In a normal week of my 27 lessons, 3 lessons are German. But there are only two of them where I also speak a little bit. Most we do is writing and understanding, not very much speaking.

The biggest mistake a lot of Dutch people make is the sound of 'I' in German. 'I' is written as 'ich', but in Holland we speak the 'ch' like a very hard 'g', like a grum. So a lot of people make the German 'ch' sound like a Dutch 'g' and that's very wrong. German people can't even say that very growl Dutch 'g'.
In English a 'g' is also very soft pronounced so I think it's more easy for a English person to pronounce German than a Dutch person. But for Dutch persons it's more easy for reading German, because it looks a lot like Dutch. Do you still understand it?
One very big problem for most people is the German cases, there are a lot of rules in using them and in general I understand them, but when I just have to write a text, I forget using it. :D

S

sanny

Today I can teach you just the words for:

I = ich (pronouncation: iech)
you = du (pronouncation: doe)
he = er (pronouncation: eer)
she = sie (pronouncation: sie)
it = es (pronouncation: ès)
we = wir (pronouncation: wier)
you (they)= ihr (pronouncation: ier)
you (an older person)= Sie (pronouncation: sie)

Now, study this for the next time I see you! (hahaha, like a real teacher would say that! :D)

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Old fashioned teachers might well say it. ;-)

henry

tdol said:

Hi tdol,

Want to learn German? Why not have a look at Other Language with the sub-topic " German ". :wink:

You are always welcome! :)

henry

Hi Sanny

As you also speak German, I thought it might be quite interesting for you.

I opened up a sub-topic " German" in Other Language.

I'd be glad if you could have a look at it.

With best regards,

Henry

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
henry said:
tdol said:

Hi tdol,

Want to learn German? Why not have a look at Other Language with the sub-topic " German ". :wink:

You are always welcome! :)

I did a year of German at school and have forgotten most. At present I am wrestling with beginner Japanese. ;-)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
sanny said:
RonBee said:
sanny said:
RonBee wrote:

Well, normally I don't speak it very much. In a normal week of my 27 lessons, 3 lessons are German. But there are only two of them where I also speak a little bit. Most we do is writing and understanding, not very much speaking.

The biggest mistake a lot of Dutch people make is the sound of 'I' in German. 'I' is written as 'ich', but in Holland we speak the 'ch' like a very hard 'g', like a grum. So a lot of people make the German 'ch' sound like a Dutch 'g' and that's very wrong. German people can't even say that very growl Dutch 'g'.
In English a 'g' is also very soft pronounced so I think it's more easy for a English person to pronounce German than a Dutch person. But for Dutch persons it's more easy for reading German, because it looks a lot like Dutch. Do you still understand it?
One very big problem for most people is the German cases, there are a lot of rules in using them and in general I understand them, but when I just have to write a text, I forget using it. :D

Ah, yes! The cases. Our German teacher once told us that Germans have sixteen (16) ways of saying the.

In English there is both a hard and a soft g. The soft g is identical in sound to the English j.

BTW, we usually use people as the plural of person. (BTW = by the way)

I agree that German is easier for English-speakers to learn than many other languages.

I am going to try to keep track of Henry's "German" thread. Maybe I will learn a few things.

johnny_bdn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Red5 said:

I speak spanish and catalan as mother tongues, so i'm bilingual from birth. And by now, i wouldn't dare to say I speak english well, at least not as well as I'd like...... but I can handle a conversation in english without too many problems apart from a few 'sorry, can u repeat?' and questions like that.

...Slower, pleeeease, you're going so fast for me mate!!!! :lol:

B

barbamama

I speak Dutch and English. I have also learned to speak a bit of French and German, but most of that I have forgotten. I can only read it.

S

sanny

Hi johnny,

I like this sentence of you:

...Slower, pleeeease, you're going so fast for me mate!!!!

I only don't know if 'Slower' is a right word to say in a sentence like this. But I like the 'mate'! ;)

S

sanny

barbamama said:
I speak Dutch and English. I have also learned to speak a bit of French and German, but most of that I have forgotten. I can only read it.

Well, I don't think you do. I think you're better than me! ;)
You have almost always better grades than me... although I have French 2 and German 2!

Do you think you made the French test a little bit good? I think I did, we've had much more difficult.

S

sanny

I think somebody is going to ask me and barbamama if we join the same class: we do!
I just like this forum so much that I told my three best friends about this and I think I did that so enthusiastic that they registered too! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.