How to get lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Subject: How to get lucky?
Tips:
A. Live a charmed life.
B. Open your mind.
C. Relish the upside.
D. Learn to be lucky.


If the book is great and fun, I call it 'an interesting book' rather than 'interested book.' When life is fantastic, I call it 'charming life.' But here why he used 'charmed'?
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
It means a pleasant life. My question is why the -ed form not the -ing form?

charmed life
charming life :?:
Life should be charming, not charmed. :D
 

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Joined
Nov 13, 2002
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A charmed life = a lucky one- someone who has avoided disaster lives a 'charmed life'.;-)
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
tdol said:
A charmed life = a lucky one- someone who has avoided disaster lives a 'charmed life'.;-)

What about 'an interested book'?
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
Subject: How to get lucky?
Tips:
A. Live a charmed life.
B. Open your mind.
C. Relish the upside.
D. Learn to be lucky.


If the book is great and fun, I call it 'an interesting book' rather than 'interested book.' When life is fantastic, I call it 'charming life.' But here why he used 'charmed'?

I agree with tdol's reply. :D In addition, it's often, but not always the case that -ed expresses, altered/changed by, like this,

a burnt tree (a tree that has been altered/changed by fire)
a burning tree (a tree that is burning now)

a charmed life (a life that has been altered/changed by luck)
a charming life ( a life that is charming, pleasant)

All the best, :D
 

blacknomi

Key Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Member Type
Student or Learner
Casiopea said:
blacknomi said:
Subject: How to get lucky?
Tips:
A. Live a charmed life.
B. Open your mind.
C. Relish the upside.
D. Learn to be lucky.


If the book is great and fun, I call it 'an interesting book' rather than 'interested book.' When life is fantastic, I call it 'charming life.' But here why he used 'charmed'?

I agree with tdol's reply. :D In addition, it's often, but not always the case that -ed expresses, altered/changed by, like this,

a burnt tree (a tree that has been altered/changed by fire)
a burning tree (a tree that is burning now)

a charmed life (a life that has been altered/changed by luck)
a charming life ( a life that is charming, pleasant)

All the best, :D

Agreed. It's like,
a sleeping child ( a child who is sleeping and maybe is having sweet dreams)
A sleeping car ( a car that provides passengers space to rest or sleep)

So back to my context, I think both can be used to get lucky. Can't they?
 

Casiopea

VIP Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Member Type
Other
blacknomi said:
Agreed. It's like,
a sleeping child ( a child who is sleeping and maybe is having sweet dreams)
A sleeping car ( a car that provides passengers space to rest or sleep)

e.g. a sleeping child
e.g. a sleeping car

The first example indicates that the child is performing the action of sleeping. The second example does not indicate that the car is performing the action of sleeping--rather, the present participle tells us what kind of car it is: it's a car that is made for sleeping => a sleeping car.

blacknomi said:
So back to my context, I think both can be used to get lucky. Can't they?

e.g. Live a charmed life.
e.g. Live a charming life.

In the first example indicates that something has charmed your life. The second example does not indicate that something has charmed your life--rather, it tells us what kind of life: a charming/pleasant life.

Fortune City said:
a. Present participles
Present participles used as adjectives refer to actions being performed by the things being described. In the following examples the present participles used as adjectives are underlined.

e.g. the falling star
the barking dog

The first example indicates that the star is performing the action of falling. The second example indicates that the dog is performing the action of barking.

b. Past participles
Past participles used as adjectives refer to actions which have been performed on the things being described. In the following examples, the past participles used as adjectives are underlined.

e.g. the scattered leaves
the broken drum

The first example indicates that something has scattered the leaves. The second example indicates that something has broken the drum.

SOURCE
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top