Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,Would you please tell me if this combination sounds natural?

'Compulsory charity work at secondary levels can have some humane outcomes as well.' (Benefits such as having sympathy towards others, and having appreciation for what they already have.)

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I think that "compulsory charity work" is an oxymoron.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I do compulsory charity work every time I fill out my tax return!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Compulsory charity work" is not impossible. There are instances in which people found guilty of an offence are allowed to avoid prison or a hefty fine by being forced to work for a charitable cause. It's usually referred to as "community service" in the UK. It's not always charity work. Sometimes they have to sweep the streets, for example. People caught daubing graffiti on public buildings might be forced to clean it off. People guilty of minor drug offences might be forced to work with drug charities, helping to avoid other young people from becoming embroiled in the world of drugs.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Compulsory charity work at secondary schools [STRIKE]levels[/STRIKE] can engender/promote such qualities as empathy and humility in young students/people. [STRIKE]have some humane outcomes as well.' (Benefits such as having sympathy towards others, and having appreciation for what they already have.)[/STRIKE]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A certain juvenile relative of mine had to paint fire hydrants when performing his community service for some minor misdemeanor. He has since provided me with two mostly delightful grandchildren and seems to have avoided the life of crime he once seemed destined for.

Status
Not open for further replies.