Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello everyone
I'd like to ask about the meaning of "hurry along" in the following context.
Some people are travelling inside a worm (it's a SF story). Three young men are trying to guess where young woman is going, i.e. what her destination is.

Suddenly there was good reason to hurry the game along. The young men were leaving here; didn't they deserve a useful hint or two?
"All right," she said reasonably. I'll remain on this trail until I'm done." Then she closed her book with a heavy thump, grinning as she imagined her final destination.

Does "to hurry the game along" simply mean to accelerate the game, to make the game quicker?

Last edited:

riverkid

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hello everyone
Some people are travelling inside a worm (it's a SF story). Three young men are trying to guess where young woman is going, i.e. what her destination is.

Suddenly there was good reason to hurry the game along. The young men were leaving here; didn't they deserve a useful hint or two?
"All right," she said reasonably. I'll remain on this trail until I'm done." Then she closed her book with a heavy thump, grinning as she imagined her final destination.

Does "to hurry the game along" simply mean to accelerate the game, to make the game quicker?

Yup, "to speed the game up", KLPNO.

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
Hello everyone

In this context, it seems to mean to hurry everything that is happening along - game is figurative rather than actual [unless, of course, this trip up a worm is part of a virtual game].

Status
Not open for further replies.