I am confused about some words.Need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaos_cai

Member Type
Student or Learner
hello,my dear teacher.
In my memory,"not" always goes with "any" or "anything",and it sometimes means "nothing".
But,I saw two sentences when I watching a movie today,which are"I don't know nothing"and"He didn't tell me nothing"
So I cannot understand the grammar.
Who can tell me?
Thanks in advance.

oregeezer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Thailand
Good for you! The actor was speaking improperly to indicate that his character was NOT well educated.

chaos_cai

Member Type
Student or Learner
But,I don't think so,the sentences are from "prison break",which is very famous in China.So I am not agree with you.However,thank you all the same.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
But,I don't think so,the sentences are from "prison break",which is very famous in China.So I am not agree with you.However,thank you all the same.

Don't be mislead by that production - it's no good if you start talking like the guys in the film. They use such expressions to be different from others, sometimes deliberately breaking the rules to stand out in a crowd, if only you know what I mean.
:cool:

Anglika

No Longer With Us
Member Type
Other
The structure is known as a double negative, and is generally seen as an indication of poor education. In a series such as "Prison Break", it would be used to indicate the social standing of a character.

It is a fairly common colloquial form.

Member Type
Academic
Your observation is right. We teach that phenomenon in sociolingustics. Some American dialects like the so called "Blank English" accepts double negations; i.e. I do not know nothing. It is still very colloquial but also ungrammatical.

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Chaos - please don't use American television programs to hear good English! :lol: - or model good behavior :oops:- or to see typical family life in American :roll:

Remember: most TV shows are pretend and exaggerated.

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Chaos - please don't use American television programs to hear good English! :lol: - or model good behavior :oops:- or to see typical family life in American :roll:

Remember: most TV shows are pretend and exaggerated.

And what would you, Susie, expect someone with such a nickname like Chaos to watch? :lol: American movies and TV shows! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.