I am not in the MOOD!... She was embarrassed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reemani

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
hi every one,
I know that I'm some kind of new to you all, but I don't think that worth the strong argument you had there. It is true that to teach and to learn is a very important thing in our life, but our classes should not be seriuos all the time, because the teacher himself is going to blow up as the students would. And I don't think that what the student said was when she felt in a graet mood, especially if that bad mood came from the teacher himself, only to tease his students.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm afraid that this thread is getting a bit out of hand, IMO. Wunaide's point about power relationships is a valid one, and showed that the original use of 'not in the mood' was inappropriate, though the reason for not using it that the original teacher gave was wrong. On the other hand, Natalie's point that in many places students wouldn't talk like that also seems reasonable. I teach in a university, where students would be more likely to express themselves very politely. I also teach in a college that has a sixth form wing, which I don't teach in, but I doubt that many of students there would go to such lengths to be that polite or subtly manipulative.

Furthermore don't give me that half-baked relaxed-and-informal 3 week EFL course twaddle.

While I have doubts about the validity of many of the ESL basic training courses, and there are many cowboys in ESL, it assumes that Natalie only has such a qualification and also doesn't represent much of an argument.

ESL ranges from the dire to the very professional. Even the much maligned one-week course, or even no training, has a purpose- there are adverts for jobs in small towns in many countries, where the only qualification required is to be a native speaker. This system may lack much pedagogical merit, but it does at least allow students to communicate with a native speaker in areas where the language needs are new and growing. Twenty years ago in Europe, it would have been enough. I know of a schools that used to recruit at the airport; standards are much higher now, but conditions have changed enormously.

However, does the use of the term 'twaddle' advance an argument of a view to any great extent? People drip MAs where I work- are they still twaddle merchants? Is it not possible to disagree with someone without questioning their professionalism? Furthermore, I have seen Natalie regularly on the forum, but have no idea of her qualifications,so would not be in a position to say what she has or has not got in terms of qualifications. She is a regular visitor, which suggests that she has a genuine interest in the subject, spending her free time engaging with students and looking at language issues here, and probably elsewhere.

Please consider the perlocutionary force of the comment about 'twaddle'- is it really fair?

Listen you arrogant and pig headed Mr. "Know it all"...What is this...a preacher's sermon?

It is easy to get angry on the internet and respond quickly, and soon a conversation descends into flaming. In this thread, one person tried to shut the validity of the other's argument off by dismissing them as unqualified, restricting their space and, in effect, belittling them, and this is the result.

I have seen the problems on other forums with flaming and we have tried to keep a friendly forum here without the rows that have disfigured some forums (or fora if you prefer).

Comments fired off in posts stick around and they do have an impact that goes beyond the original intention. Please try to keep this forum a welcoming and friendly place. Fights between teachers are not edifying and will be read by students. Please try to keep things on a civil basis; it makes for a far nicer forum. Please refrain from personal attacks and jibes.

An interesting thread has broken down, which I find saddening.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Still friends. :lol:

BTW, shouldn't that be 'we are still friends'?;-)

N

Natalie27

Latoof said:
Hi everybody,
I would like to know what is going on here?
Are you fighting or what? I am sorry if it is because of me. However, I was saying the truth our relationship with our teacher is built on respect and some fun. I really enjoy it this way, everyone does. I agree with what is said about that teaching is something very important and it cannot be just a teacher and a student. It really goes beyond that.
I hope that we still friends.
Thanks all.

Dear Latoof,

I am so sorry for acting out BUT my last post wasn't targeted at you. NOT AT ALL! I really want you to understand that, OK?!
I truly apologize to everyone who got offended my my behavior. It's not very often that I blast out like that. I don't think anyone likes to be insulted. I Should have known better, though, not to get down to this person's level.
You bet we are friends. Always have been, right?

Apology again. :cry:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Always have been.;-)

Latoof

Dear Latoof,

I am so sorry for acting out BUT my last post wasn't targeted at you. NOT AT ALL! I really want you to understand that, OK?!
I truly apologize to everyone who got offended my my behavior. It's not very often that I blast out like that. I don't think anyone likes to be insulted. I Should have known better, though, not to get down to this person's level.

[/quote]

There is no need to abologize, we are friends :wink:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Latoof said:
Dear Latoof,

There is no need to abologize, we are friends :wink:[/quote]

:D Thumbs up for international communication. :up:

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Never abologise.:lol:

harrymick

I'm afraid that this thread is getting a bit out of hand.

Hi, all of my teachers. can you tell me what the 'thread' means?

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.