I am worried about my english

Status
Not open for further replies.

the player

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,

I explain my case, I think many people are in the same situation, I am a student in english language, I am about moving up to upper intermediate B that's mean i will finish my english formation in four levels (8 months); but the problem is that I fogot a lot the vocab I learnt in previous sessions, because of the lack of practice, as here in Algeria we don't speak english in our dailylife and I don't have many places where I can speak english, except the school.

Is it a normal thing? and what can I do to always stay in the same level? this pushed me to register in this forum, I am afraid my vocab is poor and to forget all my english when I finish studying.

Regards.

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Do you keep fit?

If you do, you know that if you stop when you get muscles, the muscles will soon disappear. You need to keep doing those exercises if you want to keep your muscles.

It's the same with language. If you don't keep your language "fit", it will start to disappear.

The problem is you live in a non-English-speaking country, so... little chance to practice. But there are some things you can do.

You have access to the internet, so you have access to a lot of written English. You also have access to quite a lot of spoken English if you have an inexpensive and fast internet connection. The BBC website is a good one for this: lots of written news and reports, and all of the domestic BBC radio stations are available from the website, free of charge.

If you have cable or satellite TV, you might be able to pick up British and American channels -- BBC, CNN and so on.

If you don't have that, you might be able to find the BBC World Service or Voice of America on your radio.

Obviously, this isn't as good as actually speaking English, but it's a start. You won't understand everything at first -- you might not understand a single word -- but if you have the radio on regularly, you might start to pick up the language without even trying.

And by signing on here, you have the possibility of at least writing English. :)

BMS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi (the player)..

In fact, I've suffered the same manner because I'm living in Saudi Arabia;-) , but I found a way that made me better than before.

It is practicing with some people by pal-talk, and use the messenger to make some conversations by typing with (Spleak), his e-mail[spleak@hotmail.com].
It is computer, and you can learn a lot of him by typing (home) e.g. then enter (9) and it can gives you some benefits.

I hope I can help you more..:-D

BMS,,

Omar!

Member Type
Student or Learner
hi ,
I can`t add more than what written before ( great replays and advices ) .
I think most of us are in the middle east countries like (Algeria, Saudi Arabia , Eygpt , Syria ..etc ) suffering from that !

Good luck :)

the player

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi everybody,

I really thank you for your advices and ideas, but I think the fact that Algeria in not a native english country discourage learning this english.

So I had registered in here to have more practice and to be in touch with this language, i will come back to english school next sunday.

I think the case of Algeria is not liks the egyptian or syrian one, cause there we can find people speaking english with some books in shops, but here most of algerian people speak french and arabic, it's not like in the middle east.

But I don't have to be discouraged anyway, I beleive that I will learn a lot from people I will meet in this site.

Could you please correct my sentences if they are faulse?

Thanks.

eflnow

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Italy
Practicing your English in a constant and consistent fashion will indeed help you keep it up.

You can even view CNN reports or watch clips from the three big American TV networks (CBS,ABC and NBC) and from a Canadian network (CBC) - online and for free! Check it out.

Some corrections: nationalities are capitalized (e.g. Egyptian)
"advice" is uncountable and therefore singular,
you're "going back" to school (not will come back)
"false" means not true; "wrong" means not right(incorrect)

Omar!

Member Type
Student or Learner
Practicing your English in a constant and consistent fashion will indeed help you keep it up.

You can even view CNN reports or watch clips from the three big American TV networks (CBS,ABC and NBC) and from a Canadian network (CBC) - online and for free! Check it out.

Some corrections: nationalities are capitalized (e.g. Egyptian)
"advice" is uncountable and therefore singular,
you're "going back" to school (not will come back)
"false" means not true; "wrong" means not right(incorrect)

Great , eflnow :up:
we need like this active and useful posting .:cool:

Thanks a lot . ;-)

eflnow

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Italy
Great , eflnow :up:
we need like this active and useful posting .:cool:

Thanks a lot . ;-)

:-DI really appreciate that. Thanks!

Neelam_kunwar

Hi m Neelam,
I have also same problem. My english is also very bad and m also worried about my english. Anyway, Best of liuk for your english.

Nas

Basically, what you have to do is read newspaper in English if exist, and listen to English conversation, you can find thoese in the internet. Get it rid of your shy, if you're shy, you won't learn. Also, try to make friendship from the internet, since you're in a country where people speak either Arabic or France. In stead of reading Arabic or france, spend all your time in English. In my case, whenever I chat with my father, cousins, friends, and brothers, I chat with them in English. I never chat in my first language, for I have a purpose that I wich obtain. I think those strategies will be sufficient to achieve you goal, which is learn English.

Please I will be super happy if you guys correct my mistakes if exist. :up: Keep up the nice work.

the player

Member Type
Student or Learner
Basically, what you have to do is read newspaper in English if exist, and listen to English conversation, you can find thoese in the internet. Get it rid of your shy, if you're shy, you won't learn. Also, try to make friendship from the internet, since you're in a country where people speak either Arabic or France. In stead of reading Arabic or france, spend all your time in English. In my case, whenever I chat with my father, cousins, friends, and brothers, I chat with them in English. I never chat in my first language, for I have a purpose that I wich obtain. I think those strategies will be sufficient to achieve you goal, which is learn English.

Please I will be super happy if you guys correct my mistakes if exist. :up: Keep up the nice work.

Thank you much for your advice, to tell you the truth I am still worried about my english, especially when I finish my formation in may, I won't have many opportunities for praticing english, I have to find a job where we speak only english, maybe teaching low levels people, I really can't speak english with my mother or other relatives, cause they don't know this language :-D , nevertheless I think it's a good think for me being here in this website and forums, I am sure I'll learn a lot and why not meet people, I have to glance at this forum more frequently than I do.

Take care, see you.

Me.

Tdol

Editor, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Forums do provide a great opportunity to communicate with people from all over the world, which is, I think, such a great help.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I explain my case, I think many people are in the same situation, I am a student in english language, I am about moving up to upper intermediate B that's mean i will finish my english formation in four levels (8 months); but the problem is that I fogot a lot the vocab I learnt in previous sessions, because of the lack of practice, as here in Algeria we don't speak english in our dailylife and I don't have many places where I can speak english, except the school.

Is it a normal thing? and what can I do to always stay in the same level? this pushed me to register in this forum, I am afraid my vocab is poor and to forget all my english when I finish studying.

Regards.

Regarding to your vocabulary it's very useful thing to read a dictionary if you have nowhere to speak English and speak to yourself when you are alone.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.